22 Mar 1944 Miles City S.D. BOMBED!!!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

mikewint

Captain
Feb 17, 2010
Lakeview, AR
Just happened to come across this article today. I personally had never heard this story of the bombing of the continental United States during WWII:

During the dead of winter, March 21st 1944; Miles City, Montana; local residents woke to their quaint little town being overrun and submerged by the rising frozen waters of the Yellowstone river. Ice jams were building quickly, raising the sub zero river water levels over 16 feet. As the blocks of ice, slush and freezing waters flooded into the city, residents were forced to flee their homes for safer grounds.

Miles City Mayor L.S. Keye knew immediate action must be taken, and brought in explosive experts from a nearby town. Two local pilots took a small aircraft over the river and attempted to drop and detonate 50 pound homemade bombs on the Yellowstone ice jam , but unfortunately it had little effect.
Mayor L.S. Keye then decided to do the unthinkable, and placed an urgent request to the Governors office. His request was short, and to the point "Send in the Bombers!"

.At a USAAF base in Rapid City S.D., the crew of an Army Air Force B-17 were quick to accept the unusual mission, and preparations to bomb an American city were fast underway. The crew hastily began fusing and loading 250-pound bombs into the bomb bay of their USAAF Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress. Shortly thereafter, the loaded bomber with her crew of eight took to the skies in a harsh blizzard and low ceilings.

.The plan was to deliver the bombs to Miles City where the load would be transferred to a waiting Dive-Bomber to execute the bomb delivery. As the lone B-17 was nearing Miles City, low clouds forced the plans to be changed. Under a blanket of 1000 foot overcast skies, the B-17 was then ordered to handle the bombing run themselves.
Originally planned to release the load at 10,000 feet, the low overcast forced the bomber crew to take their ship lower. At 1930 hours, in heavy snow, winds and cold, the bomber appeared over the river and executed two dummy bombing runs as crowds of locals watched in amazement. On the third pass, the B-17 released a test bomb that exploded precisely on target. Unsure of the effect, the crew brought their bomber around again.

Making a two more passes, releasing all six of the 250 lb bombs. Hundreds of residents watched motionless, and none speaking a word. The entire town, their homes and their families' future hung in the balance as they watched the bombs fall. Seconds later a huge plume of ice, mud and water exploded skyward from the frozen Yellowstone River.
The ice jam quickly broke apart, and the frozen waters slowly receded, saving the small town. The next morning, local residents were thrilled to watch as the water levels had dropped a full 10 feet from the day before.

That night the crew of the B-17 were welcomed by the thankful and relieved residents of Miles City Montana. The entire crew were put up at the local hotel, and each received a well deserved steak dinner.

The next morning, the crew departed, and the B-17 made a final victory pass low over the town at 50 feet over the rooftops, rocking their wings as they flew back home to Rapid City SD … and so the story goes of the time the continental United States was bombed

Last edited:
… and so the story goes of the only time the continental United States was bombed
This is actually not true.

The IJN bombed the West Coast twice.
The first attack was on 9 September 1942 and the other, was three weeks later.

Both bombing attacks was done with a Yokosuka E14Y launched from the I-25 which happened to be the same sub that shelled Fort Stevens (Oregon) in June 1942.

Yokosuka E14Y
I thought that the Japanese sub had "shelled" a town on the west coast and I recall the incendiary carrying balloons that the Japanese launched.
The seaplane bombing was new to me
Nobuo Fujita and his sea plane "Glen". The only Axis pilot to bomb the continental US, 9 Sep 1942

Fujita&Glen.jpg

Yup, I thought that the shelling were of a town along the coast but it was an oil field and an old Army fort.
On 23 Feb 1942 the Japanese submarine I-17 entered a channel near the Ellwood Oil Field, a large oil well and storage facility outside of Santa Barbara. After surfacing, the submarine lobbed 16 shells at Ellwood Beach from its deck gun before submerging and escaping.

The shelling was mostly ineffective, a pump house and a single oil derrick were destroyed. The bombardment at Ellwood sparked an invasion panic along the entire west coast. A day later, reports of enemy aircraft led to the so-called "Battle of Los Angeles," in which American artillery was discharged over Los Angeles for several hours due to the mistaken belief that the Japanese were invading.

The I-25 also shelled the US. On 21 June 1942 the I-25 made its way to the mouth of the Columbia River, surfaced near Fort Stevens, and used its 140-millimeter deck gun to fire 17 shells at the fort. The commander of Fort Stevens ordered his men not to return fire as the fort was entirely blacked out and the sub was firing blindly. The bombardment was almost totally unsuccessful most of the shells landed in nearby baseball field

You can also include the hydrogen bombs dropped near Goldsboro, NC when a B-52 disintegrated in flight. They didn't explode.

Aside from I-25 shelling Oregon, another sub (I believe I-17) shelled two locations in Southern California.
Forgive my lack of details as I'm writing this on the run, but, there is an interesting story behind one of the captain's of the Japanese subs that shelled the West Coast. I believe he went against orders and continued with the shelling as revenge for a perceived disrespect that happened when he was visiting oil fields or some other installation in the US. I want to say he might have fallen and was laughed at. Anyways, I'm sure one of us here knows the story, by heart, and can correct/elaborate on, as Paul Harvey used to say "…the rest of the story".

Airborn atomic weapons have failsafes that prevent them from from detonating in the event of an accident.

Only when they're about to be deployed, are they armed.

That was our training as USAF firefighters at a nuke SAC base. My understanding is that the predetonators have to fire in a precisely-timed sequence in order to achieve critical mass. The possibility of an ugly noncritical nuclear incident was still in the cards so far as our training went. The concern we faced first was recrystallized explosive that had melted and re-gelled, and then being sensitive to shock, in my book learning.

Thankfully I never had to respond to a broken arrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back