27th FS P-38s in Iceland

Discussion in 'Aircraft Markings and Camouflage' started by aurora-7, Dec 22, 2009.

1. aurora-7

aurora-7 Member

software engineer
    I just recently found out the first USAAF score against the Luftwaffe was a P-38 from the 27th FS, based in Iceland from July-August, 1942. I'd love to make my early P-38 kit as this particular P-38. I've found markings of the 27th aircraft in North Africa that same year but no pictures of them in Iceland.

Can anyone suggest a source or does anyone know if the 27th markings would be the same for most of '42?

2. vikingBerserker

vikingBerserker Well-Known Member

Korporate Kontrolleur
    I would assume they had not changed much after leaving Iceland to the MTO. I looked through all my sources and could not find a definitive pic of the 27th on Iceland. Best of luck and welcome aboard.

David

3. GrauGeist

GrauGeist Well-Known Member

Public Safety Automotive Technician
    Home Page:
    The only early P-38 paint scheme from that area that I'm familiar with, is Glacier Girl's.

Not sure if it was assigned to the 27th or not, but it's from the same time period.

4. Johnny Signor

Johnny Signor Member

There was a painting done by someone of this shootdown, I'm sorry I don't know the artist, I believe it was the rear cover page art on a book titled "Top Cover For America" .