2LT Albert L. Young, 332 FG, 100 FS

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

seesul

Senior Master Sergeant
Hello,

Albert was the only Tuskegee airmen who lost his life over our country. I´m looking for his family. Any kind of help would be highly appreciated.

This is what we know about him so far:

• entered service form Memphis, Tennessee, his wartime adress was 590 S. Wellington street
  • mother´s name was Hazel Young
  • ASN O-824847
  • training class 44-C-SE
  • died on Jan 21, 1945 near Opatovice, Czechoslovakia flying P-51C-10-NT S/N 42-103454
  • buried on Jan 22, 1944 at the cemetery in Blucina
  • exhumed on Sept. 17, 1946 and rests at St. Avold, France today. Plot K, row 38, grave 34

Some details to his last mission:

Albert died in Czechoslovakia (now Czech Republic) 100 km to the north of expected area of the operations. Probably experienced issues with oxygen supply and lost consciousness.
His P-51C hit the ground close to a small village of Opatovice and Albert's body was found 1 km away from the wreck. It is believed that Albert woke up shortly before impact, bailed out but his chute failed to
open due to the low altitude.

Thank you

Last edited:
Thank you guys. Here are the messages we got from Memphis Chapter of Tuskegee Airmen, Inc. They will be read during a commemoration:

Historians and Citizens in the Czech Republic :
I would like to personally give thanks to the honor of Tuskegee Airman 2nd Lt. Albert Young for his bravery and fighting for our country during WWII. I am glad that the Czech Republic is recognizing Lt. Albert Young in this manner. He will forever be remembered. I thank the Czech Republic for bestowing this type of honor for a deserving candidate. This helps put a face on the soldiers who died for freedom and justice.

Callie Herd
Memphis, Tennessee USA
Daughter of a WWII Army veteran
Historians and Citizens in the Czech Republic :

The Memphis Chapter of Tuskegee Airmen, Incorporated (located in Memphis, Tennessee) would like to express our sincere gratitude for your commemorative event on January 21, 2018 at Freedom Square in Blucina, Czech Republic unveiling the renovated monument dedicated to the memory of Memphis Tennessee native and Tuskegee Airmen flyer 2ndLt. Albert Young. We regret the loss of Lt. Young but we are proud that his lost of life, as he tragically crashed near the village of Blucina on January 21, 1945 occurred as he demonstrated bravery, dedication, and a willingness to fly wherever needed to defend Freedom and Justice in the World as a pilot in the US Army Air Corps operations during World War II. We are proud of Lt Young and are tremendously grateful that you are forever recognizing and honoring him in this manner.

Sincerely,

Calvin Janes
President
Memphis Chapter of Tuskegee Airmen, Inc.
Memphis, Tennessee USA

Thank you Eric, btw where are you from in Texas? I have a good friend in S. Antonio. His uncle was KIA during a B-17G crash few miles away from my born town. SGT DUDLEY E. STANDRIDGE | Letecká bitva Karpaty

Hi seesul,
I live in the Dallas suburbs area which is 284 miles or roughly 450 kilometers from San Antonio Texas.
I read the article and was fascinated by the humble upbringings and life of Sgt. Standridge.
Thank you for sharing and keeping alive the memory of American heroes who gave their all to liberate our European brothers.

You're welcome Eric. Here are the pics from a visit of his nephew 2010 – DUDLEY P. MERRELL | Letecká bitva Karpaty

Users who are viewing this thread