2Lt John Edmund Russell RCAF RAF USAAF b. 1.30.1920 NY USA d. 11.10.1943 Brome Suffolk England

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

arborvitae

Recruit
Sep 22, 2022
www.findagrave.com
Edited October 5, 2022:

Sorry this is so long but I hope somebody will reply with some interest. When I have time I will try to be more precise. New information in the last few days has made me edit some of this below.
——

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I've been researching on and off John Edmund Russell since 2015. I found this forum by finding a discussion about him on a dormant World War II forum that Tony Kambic contributed to and was able to search his name and locate this forum.

I put together his memorial bio on Find A Grave from various sources, newspaper articles and photos. He was a good friend of my father who wants to honor him this November for the anniversary of his death which coincides with Veterans Day almost. I'll post the link to that old thread and his bio from Find A Grave of mine. Edits and and new info would be helpful. I think I deciphered the training school acronyms and WO2 rank correctly last night. Edited this post. I'll ask specific questions below. Thanks!

John E. Russell U.S.A.A.F. [Archive] - Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum
John E. Russell U.S.A.A.F. [Archive] - Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

What is the source for the original post in this old forum thread above? Is it from a book or found online? I would really appreciate having the source before adding any of that information to his Find A Grave bio.

Please let me know if you see any errors or have any information to clarify what I have in his bio so far particularly at the top to see if anything is missing from his military service and records.
Squadron 57 is when he got the DFC in September 1943. His gravestone has this: 813 BOMB SQ 482 BOMB.
(Edited: 6 Feb 2023. That was the last squadron that he was in for less than 2 weeks before his death. Squadron before that was No. 57 with Jack Lazenby (see BBC interviews for the Peoples War online) and navigator Richard (Dick) Wright before transferring in late October 1943 to USAAF and was based in Alconbury. Since I posted this 4 months ago my father's longtime family story about being a flight instructor at end of his service does not add up.

***Disproven: He became a ***flight instructor based in England shortly before his death with the fatal plane crash in Brome, Suffolk, England that tragically killed him and his crew.

Only a few months prior he received the distinguished flying cross. Look at the Find A Grave photo section for the newspaper articles found. Although as you will see as I've edited below you can't believe everything written in a newspaper.

His crew photo in the Long Island NY newspaper is very blurry. It looks like they're standing in front of a plane. EDITED: Reading the BBC interview of his crew member H. Jack Lazenby that I found in 2015 from when he was interviewed in 2005 contradicts the fantastical newspaper article from Long Island saying that he was awarded the DFC from the King and chatted with King and Queen.That newspaper article did not interview Jack directly but was with a Red Cross lady. His crew member Lazenby said there was a parade in about mid September 1943 and the two Americans Jack Russell and Dick Wright were cited with DFC medals at the station by Bennett (not by the King). There is a grain of truth to the newspaper article because Lazenby tells of Jack meeting HM King George VI and describes their brief conversation. So he got to meet the King but he did not get awarded the medal from him.

Is the information below from an online source? Someone with a World War II history website gave me the citation for the information that the American Air Museum I am told copied and pasted onto their website without a source. I have not seen this information or a transcription of it personally. Can't find it on the Royal Canadian Air Force website. The link is dead for non-Canadian personnel. It has an alphabetical listing with links to click on and they don't work. Volunteer that maintained website retired number of years ago it said.

This is what is off of their AAM site before I added additional information to clarify acronyms and rank:

RUSSELL, 2nd Lieutenant John Edmund (USAAF O-885981) - Distinguished Flying Cross - No.57 Squadron - award approved 1 September 1943, but not published in London Gazette (newspaper). Born 30 January 1920; enlisted in RCAF, Montreal, 15 July 1941. Trained at No.5 ITS (graduated 7 November 1941), No.6 EFTS (graduated 2 January 1942) and No.4 SFTS (graduated as Sergeant Pilot, 29 April 1942). Posted to No.31 OTU, 23 May 1942; overseas and attached to RAF, 20 June 1942; promoted to Flight Sergeant, 24 October 1942; to WO2, 24 April 1943; commissioned 12 May 1943; transferred to American forces, 10 June 1943. Citation in DHist file 181.009 D.3051 (National Archives of Canada RG.24 Vol.20634).

813 BOMB SQ 482 BOMB

You will make my father very happy to find out more information about his friend! We may get a local newspaper in his hometown Baldwin or Long Island to write a story about him. Open to any suggestions for other ways for him to be remembered besides Baldwin Honor Roll memorial wall that you can see in the photo section of Find A Grave link.

Even just having more discussions about him, his service and bravery in forums like this is a start.

Last edited:
Plane Crash Civilian Casualty Clip (East Anglia),

Newspaper: Western_Morning_News,
Plymouth, Devon, England (West Country region), 1943_11_11_page_3

Attachments

• Plane Crash Civilian Casualty Clip (East Anglia) Western_Morning_News_1943_11_11_page_3.jpg
    Plane Crash Civilian Casualty Clip (East Anglia) Western_Morning_News_1943_11_11_page_3.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Crash info from a forum:
http://www.axis-and-allies-paintworks.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?p=43&id=132

The info below is copied and pasted from another forum about the plane that Jack aka John Edmund Russell was in at the time of the fatal crash. I don't know the source of some of this information. 5/8/1943 date probably is August 5, 1942 since the use of radar on bombers wasn't until late summer I've read.

——-
B-17F (serial number 42-5793) nicknamed "Stinky", the first B-17 Flying Fortress to carry HS2 Radar pathfinder equipment.
Sent to RAF Defford for installation of HSC equipment; transferred 813BS/482BG [PC-M] Alconbury 5/8/43
The first H2S airplanes were reassigned to the 482nd BG in order to concentrate the radar training, equipment, and experience in a single unit. The pathfinders would then be TDY-ed to the other Groups to act as lead ships.

Nov.1943, shortly after takeoff, #1 caught fire. They were too low to bail out and the crew headed for Eye since the runway there was more-or-less straight ahead. Sadly, they didn't make it, and the crash and fire killed all thirteen crew and four civilians.
—-

Last edited:
Edited October 5, 2022:

Sorry this is so long but I hope somebody will reply with some interest. When I have time I will try to be more precise. New information in the last few days has made me edit some of this below.
——

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I've been researching on and off John Edmund Russell since 2015. I found this forum by finding a discussion about him on a dormant World War II forum that Tony Kambic contributed to and was able to search his name and locate this forum.

I put together his memorial bio on Find A Grave from various sources, newspaper articles and photos. He was a good friend of my father who wants to honor him this November for the anniversary of his death which coincides with Veterans Day almost. I'll post the link to that old thread and his bio from Find A Grave of mine. Edits and and new info would be helpful. I think I deciphered the training school acronyms and WO2 rank correctly last night. Edited this post. I'll ask specific questions below. Thanks!

What is the source for the original post in this old forum thread above? Is it from a book or found online? I would really appreciate having the source before adding any of that information to his Find A Grave bio.

Please let me know if you see any errors or have any information to clarify what I have in his bio so far particularly at the top to see if anything is missing from his military service and records.
Squadron 57 is when he got the DFC in September 1943. His gravestone has this: 813 BOMB SQ 482 BOMB.
(Edited: 6 Feb 2023. That was the last squadron that he was in for less than 2 weeks before his death. Squadron before that was No. 57 with Jack Lazenby (see BBC interviews for the Peoples War online) and navigator Richard (Dick) Wright before transferring in late October 1943 to USAAF and was based in Alconbury. Since I posted this 4 months ago my father's longtime family story about being a flight instructor at end of his service does not add up.

***Disproven: He became a ***flight instructor based in England shortly before his death with the fatal plane crash in Brome, Suffolk, England that tragically killed him and his crew.

Only a few months prior he received the distinguished flying cross. Look at the Find A Grave photo section for the newspaper articles found. Although as you will see as I've edited below you can't believe everything written in a newspaper.

His crew photo in the Long Island NY newspaper is very blurry. It looks like they're standing in front of a plane. EDITED: Reading the BBC interview of his crew member H. Jack Lazenby that I found in 2015 from when he was interviewed in 2005 contradicts the fantastical newspaper article from Long Island saying that he was awarded the DFC from the King and chatted with King and Queen.That newspaper article did not interview Jack directly but was with a Red Cross lady. His crew member Lazenby said there was a parade in about mid September 1943 and the two Americans Jack Russell and Dick Wright were cited with DFC medals at the station by Bennett (not by the King). There is a grain of truth to the newspaper article because Lazenby tells of Jack meeting HM King George VI and describes their brief conversation. So he got to meet the King but he did not get awarded the medal from him.

Is the information below from an online source? Someone with a World War II history website gave me the citation for the information that the American Air Museum I am told copied and pasted onto their website without a source. I have not seen this information or a transcription of it personally. Can't find it on the Royal Canadian Air Force website. The link is dead for non-Canadian personnel. It has an alphabetical listing with links to click on and they don't work. Volunteer that maintained website retired number of years ago it said.

This is what is off of their AAM site before I added additional information to clarify acronyms and rank:

RUSSELL, 2nd Lieutenant John Edmund (USAAF O-885981) - Distinguished Flying Cross - No.57 Squadron - award approved 1 September 1943, but not published in London Gazette (newspaper). Born 30 January 1920; enlisted in RCAF, Montreal, 15 July 1941. Trained at No.5 ITS (graduated 7 November 1941), No.6 EFTS (graduated 2 January 1942) and No.4 SFTS (graduated as Sergeant Pilot, 29 April 1942). Posted to No.31 OTU, 23 May 1942; overseas and attached to RAF, 20 June 1942; promoted to Flight Sergeant, 24 October 1942; to WO2, 24 April 1943; commissioned 12 May 1943; transferred to American forces, 10 June 1943. Citation in DHist file 181.009 D.3051 (National Archives of Canada RG.24 Vol.20634).

813 BOMB SQ 482 BOMB

You will make my father very happy to find out more information about his friend! We may get a local newspaper in his hometown Baldwin or Long Island to write a story about him. Open to any suggestions for other ways for him to be remembered besides Baldwin Honor Roll memorial wall that you can see in the photo section of Find A Grave link.

Even just having more discussions about him, his service and bravery in forums like this is a start.
Hi There,

Jack Lazenby was my great uncle, and didn't know if I could help with info as my mother has A LOT. We have his DFC in possession as well as documentation.

Uncle Jack was very old at the time of his passing, and often got things muddled. He did receive one however, and we have more info if it can help regarding spezia and cologne (just the most prominent info) and more!

Please let me know if I can help.

Have a good day!

George

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi There,

Jack Lazenby was my great uncle, and didn't know if I could help with info as my mother has A LOT. We have his DFC in possession as well as documentation.

Uncle Jack was very old at the time of his passing, and often got things muddled. He did receive one however, and we have more info if it can help regarding spezia and cologne (just the most prominent info) and more!

Have a good day!

George

Hi George

Thank you so much for answering Wendy's thread on Jack Russell and it's great to be in contact with relatives of Jack Lazenby. When we first started to try and sort out Jack Russell's service career we/I tried in vain to find relatives. I'm so glad you have found us via this great group.

From this thread the idea of a memorial to Jack R and the rest of the 8th USAF crew on the B-17 Pathfinder is was hatched.

I have emailed you and hopefully we can get in contact. Really appreciate you getting in touch.

Steve Andrews

Hello G george_99 from another George. The OP hasn't been here for a year. Hold your cursor over his avatar and click on "Start Conversation". In there you can send him a personal message which may end up in his email. I just sent you one
Hi George (fubar57) luckily Wendy who was the OP (original poster) received notification of George's response and we are hoping to get in contact 👍 This is such a great forum for contacts like these 👍 Thanks for helping with the connection.
All the best
Steve A

Hi There,

Have a good day!

George

Hello George!

I was so happy to find your reply to this thread in my inbox! I had to find my username and password, but in the meantime, I asked Steve to email you and copy me on your chats. This is amazing! Your great uncle's stories on the BBC People's War site were invaluable and our go to when a newspaper story or two about Jack Russell weren't adding up. We so hoped we would locate your family and learn more about H. Jack Lazenby when "our Jack" was with RAF 57 > 97!

We would love to share with you the memorial booklet with biographies to remember and honor Jack Russell, his pilot Arthur Reynolds, the crew and civilians lost. It seemed like a Herculean task at first this project and the booklet, but everything came together wonderfully thanks to Steve and so many others.

Looking forward to making this connection and sharing what we know and vice versa.

John Edmund Russell (Jack) has a memorial on Find A Grave as does each of the crew and civilians. Jack and several of the crew are interred at Cambridge American Cemetery. Memorial Day last year Steve laid the wreath for this 482nd BG crew. I got to watch videos of that day and also the 80th anniversary memorial on November 10th with my 95 year old Dad who was a childhood young friend of Jack who worked for his father before the war. Many letters between them that I have and got us wanting to know more about him! Lucky for me Steve got hooked too and passionate about this extraordinary friend of my Gramps and Dad. I remember the night in New York when I found this treasure trove of old letters, and I stayed up reading into the wee hours. It was like a time machine.

That is how this project first started with my Dad's stories around the dinner table and I started researching Jack and his family over nine years ago on and off. October 2022 Steve saw my inquiry on here and he knew a WWII aviation enthusiast (!!) that had property near the airfield in Brome. A long story short… it led to a team forming a few months later in Suffolk. I'm in Florida! Transatlantic emails, WhatsApp and a lot of dedicated researchers and family members found helped our team.

I haven't chatted about this project since the end of last year. Pretty amazing experience. That started with two very curious people! :)

Look forward to telling my Dad about meeting family of one of Jack's RAF crew!
Your Jack has a fascinating history. Brilliant you found this thread!

Chat soon,

Wendy Rust

Hello G george_99 from another George. The OP hasn't been here for a year. Hold your cursor over his avatar and click on "Start Conversation". In there you can send him a personal message which may end up in his email. I just sent you one

Thanks for joining this conversation and helping connect us with George. This site is to be credited for Steve Andrews and I meeting here and our chats here turning into a Jack Russell research project then an 80th anniversary project beyond our imagination at the time. Glad to be back on here again making more great connections!

I thought your username looked familiar! Just realized you were the first person to reply to me in September 2022.

Cheers!

Wendy Rust

P.S. arborvitae is the name of my family tree on Ancestry; my initial research came from that angle and turned me into a WWII 8th AF, RAF & B-17 enthusiast. :) I learned so much researching the two Jacks and cut my teeth with the Brome memorial project. Looking at my first posts makes me smile. Steve was a great asset for this newbie!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back