315sq

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ellis995

Staff Sergeant
Mar 15, 2009
Easington Lane UK
Hi guy's

just found some decals for my next build :D. Which i am thinking of putting in the MTO GB £3.68 for Lt Horbaczewski's spitfire MK.IX

Sounds good Keith, and a good price for a decal sheet in 1/48th scale. i think that's one of the profiles I'm digging out for you. I'll e-mail a few to you mate.
EDIT: Just checked, it is one of the profiles, think I've got a pic too. Tell you what, bung me your address in a PM, and I'll send the book on a CD, plus some other Spit books. They'll all help, as I'm sure you'll build more Spits!!

Last edited:
As memo serves the Polish 315 Squadron didn't take part in operations in MTO at all. But Cpt. Horbaczewski did.Initailly as a mamber of PFT ( Polish Fighting Team) in N.Africa.The PFT was a part of 145 Squadron ( Flight C ) .Poles flown Spitfire Mk.IXs . But there are still many mistakes in almost all profiles of the PFT machines.These Spitfires had shorther air intakes to the carburetor . According to recent infos the colour of code letters was blue but not red like it was shown at the Past. Horbaczewski's Spitfire Mk IX EN459 was marked as ZX-1.Before Horbaczewski became a commander of 315 Squadron where he flown Mustang Mk.III he had been a commander of 43 Squadron on Malta and fought with the unint over Sicily and Italy.

I'm looking forward the build Keith....:D

Attachments

• Eugeniusz_Horbaczewski.jpg
    Eugeniusz_Horbaczewski.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 146
  • Spit MkIX ZX1.jpg
    Spit MkIX ZX1.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 158
  • Spit MK IX ZX-6.jpg
    Spit MK IX ZX-6.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
p.m inbound Terry.

thanks wojtek you are right it was 145sq

spit MK.IX.jpg
Spitfire Mk.IXc (4) 145 Polish Squadron North Africa 1943:

* EN459 ZX-1;
* EN355 ZX-O;
* EN267 ZX-5;
* EN315 ZX-6.

Last edited:
Nice info Wojtek. Sounds like the book I'm sending to keith has the right details, and it shows other aircraft from the PFT too. It's interesting, as I found some decals from an old Otaki Spit kit for 145 Sqn, where the codes are red with a white outline, instead of blue, but it did date from the late 1970's, so we'll let them off! BTW, that's the first close up pic I've seen of the man.

Also I'm not sure about the 145 squadron code letter.In one pic of Spitfire Mk.Vb trop these letters look like red comparing to the central disc of the fuselage roundel.But in pictures of taking off PFT Spitfires Mk.IX these are really a little bit lighter what can indicate the blue colour.Anyway the blue colour is correct for some reasons now...:lol:

Oh :oops: ....sorry my mistake.The profile of ZX-6 shows the Mk.IX with longer air intake to the carburetor as well.

Last edited:
Ah, I meant to ask about that. The longer intake became standard, built by Vokes, and incorporating the dust filter, from mid 1944 IIRC, but was previously fitted to Spit IX's in the MTO, replacing the deep filter of the MkV, before this time. So, should these PFT Spits have the long filter, or the older, short filter? I would have thought the longer, Vokes type for the area of operations, and more so after mid '44.

Here you are pics in that the ZX-6 can be seen.Note the early shorter air intake to the carburetor.

Attachments

• Spitfire MkIX ZX_6 _.jpg
    Spitfire MkIX ZX_6 _.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 195
  • Spitfire MkIX ZX-6.jpg
    Spitfire MkIX ZX-6.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 248
Ah, I meant to ask about that. The longer intake became standard, built by Vokes, and incorporating the dust filter, from mid 1944 IIRC, but was previously fitted to Spit IX's in the MTO, replacing the deep filter of the MkV, before this time. So, should these PFT Spits have the long filter, or the older, short filter? I would have thought the longer, Vokes type for the area of operations, and more so after mid '44.

As I remember from Skalski's, Król's and Arct's books ( all were PFT pilots) these Mk.IX were sent for them direct from GB.The ETO standard variant of the Spitfire wasn't very popular in the North Africa due to the lack of the dust filter like the Vokes one.Most Mk.Vb there was equipped with these.But PFT Spitfires were these of the first Mk.IXs over N.Africa.Later all wanted the mark just because of PFT successes.:p

Last edited:
Why does his plane in post #3 show both Crosses and Swastikas?

The 315 squadron took part in the fight against V-1 missiles.These Swastikas are the victory masrkings for four shot down V-1s. If you look close up you will notice white symbols of V-1 missile in these swastikas.

Last edited:
Also I'm not sure about the 145 squadron code letter.In one pic of Spitfire Mk.Vb trop these letters look like red comparing to the central disc of the fuselage roundel.But in pictures of taking off PFT Spitfires Mk.IX these are really a little bit lighter what can indicate the blue colour.Anyway the blue colour is correct for some reasons now...

Bkue is correct Wojtek, Iv'e seen a colour pic. I think it was of ZX-1, I thought I kept it but can't find it at the moment...:(

Bkue is correct Wojtek, Iv'e seen a colour pic. I think it was of ZX-1, I thought I kept it but can't find it at the moment...:(

I know the pic but I'm still not sure if it is not a colourized one.However a few years ago it was said that PFT had their code letters red.But now it is said these are blue.....anyway it is no problem.The problem is that in almost all PFT Spitfires profiles these have longer air intake to the carburetor.

Here is ZX-5 and ZX-6 profiles that shows the correct carburetor air intake.

Attachments

• Spifire Mk IX ZX-5.jpg
    Spifire Mk IX ZX-5.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 196
  • Spitfire Mk IX ZX-6.jpg
    Spitfire Mk IX ZX-6.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
I agree with the tonality of the B&W pic showing the code letters as blue. The red of the roundel is a different tone, and the dark blue of the roundel different again. But the tones do look correct for the slightly lighter shade of blue shown on the letters in profiles. As for the air intake, it makes sense that these would be the original, short intake. But I wonder if the longer intake, with the integral filter, was field-fitted at a later date? It would be a relatively simple exchange, as this filter was built-in to the one-piece bottom cowling panel. However, as far as Keith's model is concerned, I believe the kit includes both types of intake, so there shouldn't be a problem.

Not for PFT Terry. Polish pilots were fighting over the N.Africa three months in total only.So it was too short period of time.

Here another profile of blue ZX-6 but with incorrect air intake.Also here the mentioned by Wayne pic with ZX-1 and the PFT badge.

Attachments

• Spitfire Mk IX ZX-6 incorrect.jpg
    Spitfire Mk IX ZX-6 incorrect.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 195
  • Spitfire Mk IX ZX-1.jpg
    Spitfire Mk IX ZX-1.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 122
  • PFT badge.jpg
    PFT badge.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 140
Great info Wojtek, so Keith should use the original, short intake.
I love the colour pic, and it appears to be original, not colourised or hand-tinted. It's interesting about the oil drums being used as work stands, as the one in the centre appears to be of German pattern, with the 'rubber' rolling rings around the centre. That would make a nice little diorama I think!

It is possible Terry.But what is interesting in the pic ..have you ever seen a such meadow on the desert? I have had somewhere the larger pic and some info on that but where????????? Anyway a diorama may be really nice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back