5 Favourite Planes

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

plan_D said:
Average male lives to 76...in the civilised world.

Assuming he dies of "natural causes".

My point is that life expectancy figures like this usually exclude anything but death from accidental or violent causes. I think the average life expectancy for a black male in America is acutally something like 38 years, when counting all causes of death.

=S=

Lunatic

No, not assuming you die of natural causes. It's not saying you'll live to 76, it's saying average life expectancy...taking into account those that die at 1, and those that die at 100.

plan_D said:
No, not assuming you die of natural causes. It's not saying you'll live to 76, it's saying average life expectancy...taking into account those that die at 1, and those that die at 100.

You're sure of that? I can remember studying this stat in college almost 30 years ago, and it excluded violent death (and the male life expectancy was only about 70).

=S=

Lunatic

I'm glad you stated 30 years ago. You do realise that 30 years is a long time, medical science has advanced a lot since 1974.

plan_D said:
I'm glad you stated 30 years ago. You do realise that 30 years is a long time, medical science has advanced a lot since 1974.

Yes which is why the age has gotten higher. But still, I would bet that figure still excludes violent death.

I was making sure everyone knew that the 76 figure is correct for this day and age. And on that note of a 30 year gap, education practices have changed somewhat in the past 30 years - believe it or not. When I was forced to listen to a teacher babble on about life expectancy 2 years ago it included all deaths.

plan_D said:
I was making sure everyone knew that the 76 figure is correct for this day and age. And on that note of a 30 year gap, education practices have changed somewhat in the past 30 years - believe it or not. When I was forced to listen to a teacher babble on about life expectancy 2 years ago it included all deaths.

Well, I'd re-check that. I was in an advanced economics class where we were studying life expectancy trends by region in the USA vs Europe. Figures excluded violent deaths and I doubt there would be that huge a difference if the current figures included violent deaths.

=S=

Lunatic

Well, you re-check it then 'cos it saves me going back into school and asking if it does seeing as I only left one and a half years ago and you left, what? 30 years ago...

plan_D said:
Well, you re-check it then 'cos it saves me going back into school and asking if it does seeing as I only left one and a half years ago and you left, what? 30 years ago...

I've tried to find the details of how the LE is calculated on the web, but so far I've not found anything that is specific. However, from the overall impression, it appears you may be correct and all types of mortality may be included. Voilent death (ie: homocide) would hardly make a difference, as it accounts for less than 1% of deaths, so both ways of looking at the data probably yeild about the same results.

=S=

Lunatic

No I'm not. When you win arguments, you don't rub it in 'cos then you look like the prick.

Why don't you tell him that? ;)

ping pong is primarily an american game in which the aim is to achive a rally with your openent, the person to stop the rally looses, table tennis is a game in which you have to beat your oponent, i know they sound the same but they're different..................

Users who are viewing this thread

Back