5 hot rods of the sixties....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
Let's say that we'd have fighter meet a' la Red Flag, Top Gun etc., where you'd test everything with these five jets. Air to air, air to ground, intercept-lock and shoot down, ground support as in maintenance, cockpit layout, hot and cold weather, you name it!

Dassault Mirage IIIE
E/E Lightning F6
MiG-21F
Saab 35F Draken
F-106 Delta Dart

Oh, the year is 1965, you have spanking new red '65 Mustang soft top on the base, you and your fighter jockey friends think that you're God's gift to woman and best thing since slized bread!

Well then I'd go for Delta Dart; the plane is HOT!

My choice is the Lightning since all the others are deltas and will lose too much speed in turns. My favorite aircraft of the time is the F-4 but it is not listed.

Oh, the year is 1965, you have spanking new red '65 Mustang soft top on the base...

In '65 a Mustang was a "girls car" and I would not have wanted one. The dream cars for guys in '65 would be more like Corvette 396s, Cobra 427s, and a Plymouth Belvederes with the 426 Hemi.

My choice is the Lightning since all the others are deltas and will lose too much speed in turns. My favorite aircraft of the time is the F-4 but it is not listed.

Technically, the J-35 was a "double delta", but close enough. You're missing the F-104, also, but it didn't have an air-to-ground mission yet, so I'm going with the J-35 as the best "all-around" fighter/interceptor of the mid-60's. The F-106 didn't have an air-to-ground capabaility, either, and never did in it's 30-year operational history.

Technically, the J-35 was a "double delta", but close enough. You're missing the F-104, also, but it didn't have an air-to-ground mission yet, so I'm going with the J-35 as the best "all-around" fighter/interceptor of the mid-60's. The F-106 didn't have an air-to-ground capabaility, either, and never did in it's 30-year operational history.
The 104 was always a lo level strike aircraft with RCAF

Last edited:
The 104 was always a lo level strike aircraft with RCAF

Yes, I stand corrected; I didn't think the G came out until after 1965 but, apparently, it was flying as early as 1960. I suppose it could've been a competitor in this contest . . . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back