Several points here.
1. you made a statement about pilots being unconcerned about planes armed with .30 cal guns. a rather bogus argument.
I don't think I said this. What I said was "Does anyone have a report from the Germans or Japanese saying they were not concerned about the American fighters because they only had 50s?"[/QUOTE]
2. I did say that the .30 cal was not an effective armament "doesn't mean the .30 cal gun is a plane killer as the British found out in the BoB"
I don't understand this. Did you mean "doesn't mean the .30 cal gun is not a plane killer…}
This is a tiring argument and redundant to other threads.
You are right, this argument is tiring argument and redundant. But some people can't seem to grasp that the .50 cal gun, even in multiples, was not the be all and end all of aircraft armament.
I don't understand why you keep saying this. I haven't seen anyone say it was a super weapon or a "be all and end all of aircraft armament".
The US spent a lot of money and engineering time trying to come up with a replacement. Why bother if the .50 was so good or doing everything they wanted? I am referring to the .60 caliber program/s and the high velocity .50 cal programs ( most of which would require new guns) and the multiple programs to boost the rate of fire of the basic M2 Browning which finally bore fruit in the spring of 1945.
I don't understand this argument. During war time lots of money and time go into advancing the current capabilities. What other weapons system could you apply you philosophy that spending money and time on improving was a sign of lack of capability, engines like the Merlin, airframes like the Fw-190, bombs, tanks????
As far as " the analysis of probability of hits versus experience of the pilot" goes, that was a big part of the push for the .60 cal and HV .50 cal programs. To increase the probability of hits for the average pilot.
And one of the reasons of why the 50s was kept by the AAF instead of 20 mm.
Hardly, as far as now and no risk goes, the Navy wanted 20mm cannon, as has been shown in other threads. 20mm guns were also the preferred armament for night fighters, from the P-70 (A-20) on up. Some prototype aircraft were specified with 20mm guns.
And yet I showed on another thread that the effectiveness of the F-86, with six M3 machine guns, was as effective as the F9F with four 20 mms, in addition, one poster indicated that the weight including ammo, was similar.
I do know that, in the late 1970s, there was a proposal to upgrade the two F-5 M-39 20mm cannons to a 50 cal Gatling. The armaments guy had said there was evidence this would be a more effective air-to-air weapon. When quickly looking at the two compared to what I had looked at on the F-86, it looked as if the exchange was basically awash with a slight advantage going to the Gatlin. It went nowhere because, I suspect, nobody wanted to develop a new aircraft gun.
The fact that the Japanese failed to up with better protected planes or that the Germans were fielding predominately singe engine fighters in the later part of the war certainly helps with the the .50 cal being "devastatingly effective against the targets faced" but depending on your enemy to field small, light aircraft that suit your armament is hardly the mark of good planning or evidence that your armament is really up to world standard.
Do you have evidence that a P-51D or P-47 would not have been devastatingly effective against, say, a B-17 or B-24, or is this supposition?
Certainly by the end of WW2, the M-2 armed fighters were not up to world standard. However, had the M-3 been incorporated they would have been. Indeed, the M-3 armed F-86 was as potent as the F9F and more so than the Mig-15. This all changed with the M-39 20 mm.
I am willing to be enlightened also. I am not sure what you mean by "demanded the removal".
Not adequate to do the job like there was a big demand to upgrade the F4F once the Zero was encountered.
The BAR was a good automatic rifle in 1918, it was a poor light machine gun in WW II.
I know very little about combat weapons. I am sure others here are much wiser than I am. The BAR was heavy and did not have a replaceable barrel, I think. Heavy seems to be important for the power it possessed since the M-14 was critized for being too light to replace it.
The M-14 was a joke in full automatic fire and suffered from a number of problems in it's "intended" role even if it performed many other roles/duties well
The M-14 seems well liked but out of place in the jungle as any full sized rifle would be. In the Middle East it seems to be popular.
we are still living with the problems of the M-16
It seems to have been around a long time for such a miserable failure.
and the early M-60s had enough design flaws to make some people wonder if the designers had been paying attention at all to how machine guns were used.
I have no idea.