50s aircraft that originated during World War II (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I found this at enginehistory.org. I was very curious how far along Lockheed was. I don't know how to link this but I found it very interesting. I just wanted a peek inside that thing.
If you are using a Windows desktop or laptop (that is, not an Apple or a phone), go to whatever article you want to link. Click anywhere inside the address bar at the top. The entire address (URL) should immediately highlight. Click ctrl-c (hold the control key down while you type "c"). This copies the text of the URL. Then begin typing whatever you want to say here. When you're ready, type ctrl-V, and that will paste the URL text onto the page you are typing. Save the post, and you're all done.
There is also a way to use Microsoft Word or other word processors to embed the URL text into some regular text that you are typing. Follow the instructions for whichever word processor you are using. Then you can block and copy that text, and paste it here. The words that you highlighted will be a link to the internet article.
An Apple computer or a smart phone can do the same thing, but the sequence of steps might be different and I don't want to mislead you.

iMac and iPhone.
I'll call Apple. They have great customer service. That's why I went with them.

Hi
Some here might find the book 'Making Jet Engines in World War II, Britain, Germany, and the United States' by Hermione Giffard, University of Chicago Press, 2016, of interest, in reference to early jet engines.

Mike

That was good stuff you posted back there, MikeMeech. I never knew Britain had axial flow engines under development at that time. I had thought they were developing the Whittle design exclusively. I had once thought the American program was pretty much "nice idea Kelly but put your toys away. We want Lightnings."

I found my copy of Jet Propulsion and this is all it has to say - but opens a new can of worms, the L-4000
1646167571097.png

If anyone wants I can post these books - I am not sure what year the Smith book is but the fifth ed was 1951
1646167687979.png

1646167807369.png

1646168120176.png

That's too much in-depth for me but my curiosity has been stirred.
Just wondering if the L-1000 was a viable design.

Just wondering if the L-1000 was a viable design.

Here's what Wikipedia has to say about it in the first paragraph (linked to the article):

Lockheed J37 jet engine
"The Lockheed J37 (company designation L-1000) was one of the first turbojet engines designed in the United States. It was not considered very important when it was first introduced in the 1930s and development was allowed to languish. By the time it was developed enough for production use, other engines, some British-derived, had surpassed it in performance. The design was later converted to a turboprop, the T35 and still later sold to Wright Aeronautical, where it saw some interest for use on what would become the B-52 Stratofortress, before that design moved to jet power. The J37 and T35 were built to the extent of a number of testbed examples but never entered production."

This:
It was not considered very important when it was first introduced in the 1930s and development was allowed to languish.
Is exactly what happened to Von Ohain and Heinkel with their He178.

There was such a common thread between the USAAC and the RLM, it's sometimes hard to tell the two apart...

If you are using a Windows desktop or laptop (that is, not an Apple or a phone), go to whatever article you want to link. Click anywhere inside the address bar at the top. The entire address (URL) should immediately highlight. Click ctrl-c (hold the control key down while you type "c"). This copies the text of the URL. Then begin typing whatever you want to say here. When you're ready, type ctrl-V, and that will paste the URL text onto the page you are typing. Save the post, and you're all done.
There is also a way to use Microsoft Word or other word processors to embed the URL text into some regular text that you are typing. Follow the instructions for whichever word processor you are using. Then you can block and copy that text, and paste it here. The words that you highlighted will be a link to the internet article.
An Apple computer or a smart phone can do the same thing, but the sequence of steps might be different and I don't want to mislead you.
The same commands work for Apple products. ctrl + c and ctrl + v are universal commands. If you are using an iPhone you need to tap hold in the URL and select copy and then tap to bring up paste command.

C-54 Douglas Skymaster was another long life plane, with origins in WW2. I believe they flew in one form or another, until the 1990s.

DC-6s are still flying on a regular basis in Alaska with cargo airlines. They sound like nothing else in the air, and I heard one fly over a few nights ago. During the summer months, you can see a DC-6, DC-3 or C-46 fly by almost daily.

The C-54 ( R5D in the US Navy) was the DC-4 (unpressurized fuselage), not the DC-6 (longer fuselage with passenger/crew area pressurized).

The DC-6 served as the C-118 & R6D.

First flight of the C-54/DC-4 was 15 Feb 1942.

First flight of the DC-6 (XC-112 prototype) was 15 Feb 1946 (dropped by US military, modified for civilian service as DC-6. Re-adopted by the US military in 1947 (29th DC-6 ordered as VC-118 for US Presidential use in 1947).

If the Shooting Star had engaged the Me262 during the war, it would have been the YP-80 or the P-80A, which were not close to the postwar P/F-80C in speed or performance.
The prototypes were able to just reach 502mph and the YP-80 (with standard combat outfitting) was able to attain a max. of 492mph versus the Me262's max. of 560mph.
The early P-80's time to 20,000 feet was 5.5 minutes, the Me262's time was 5.13 minutes.

If you go up to the Stormbirds hangar in Everett, Washington, where they made the Me-262 replicas, there is a letter on the wall from Messerschmitt granting them consecutive werknumers for their airplanes. In that letter, they state the Me 262 was redlined at 520 mph and that, should anyone decide to exceed that, they would consider themselves test pilots.

Not saying you are wrong, GrauGeist, I'm just saying that Messerschmitt said what they said in the letter.

Cheers.

I'm aware of the letter from EADS (Messerschmitt's successor) and the 520mph limit, which is a calculated max. airspeed that keeps the aircraft operating within safe, controllable limits for a civil aircraft (and sets a bar for liability).

However, Willy determined through testing that the absolute max. for the Me262 was 659mph (Mach .86), anything above that speed limit entered the aircraft into a situation that was not recoverable.
This absolute max. speed was also for a combat aircraft operating in a war zone, where the flight environment was immensely different than that of GA.

Could what you have there be used as a hands -on engineering study? Kind of like a grad student or hobbyist doing what Curtiss did with Langley's Aerodrome to get it to fly. With whatever Cad-Cam is now called.
I have read references to this engine, all vague. How far along was Lockheed on this path? Was it way off base or "so very, very close "? I am not asking for a phone book of numbers.

The L-1000 engine had a protracted development, but it was the first US-designed axial-flow turbojet with an integral afterburner. It WORKED but, once designed and built, was slightly behind then-current developments. It is light, small in diameter, and could seemingly easily be scaled. The again, making a "bigger" J79 would not be s simple thing. So, maybe developing a 10,000 pound thrust version would be an entire new, long development.

Hey SparotRob, You come visit sometime at Chino and we can go look at it in person. Perhaps, instead of a visit, next time I'm at Planes of Fame, I will take a cellphone movie of it and perhaps post a video.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back