5D 656 bomb release panel.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

markbee

Airman
Jan 6, 2013
Hello all!
I've seen some of these panels before but not one like this. The mainstay belief is they were used in Lancasters but i think they were used in other aircraft aswell???
I think this one has had another career with light sockets, 2 pin plug inserts etc wired into it. If anyone knows any different (excuse my ignorance but i'm far from an expert on these matters) can you let me know please before i start dismantling it.
Thanks in advance.
Mark.
Picture 014.jpg
Picture 015.jpg

Yes, it's an incomplete stores (bomb) selector panel, which was part of the main bomb fusing, selector and release panel, found on the starboard wall of the Lancaster bomb aimer's compartment. This switch panel would be seen at the bottom left of the main panel, and should have a jettison switch bar at the right of the body, covered by a stainless steel safety clip on a chain, as shown on mine in the photo below. At the left is the connection port for the clockwork salvo mechanism.
They were used on other aircraft too, and seemed to have found numerous uses post war. Mine was destined for use as a part of the control systems for a large model railway, until I was able to ... er ... liberate it !

Attachments

• Bomb panel 002.jpg
    Bomb panel 002.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 230
Thanks very much for that! So i'm safe to dismantle all the 'extras' on it then?

Oh yes! They seem to be some sort of Heath Robinson affair for lighting, I would think probably unrelated to aviation!

Ha! I didn't think so myself. I just wanted to be sure before i took it all off in case it was for some top secret mission or suchlike and was worth a fortune the way it is. Thanks again!
All the best.
Mark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back