603 Sqn Spitfire Mk Ia R7020 flown by Ronald 'Ras' Berry (DFC) circa October 1940 - aircraft I.D. ?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Simon Ewers

Recruit
Aug 8, 2019
Hello out there,

Another investigation, another road-block. Can anyone advise what the aircrafts squadron I.D. code would be? I know it carried 'XT-' but cannot locate the all important last letter.

All I know is it was a Mk Ia Spitfire, serial number R7020 possibly arriving at the squadron in July 1940 before departing a short while later following a minor accident and a visit to an MU before heading elsewhere.

The information is wanted to help complete the picture of the forced landing of a Bf/Me109E-1 at Woodham Mortimer in October 1940 as visited by my father (a curious 8yr old at the time). The Spit' in question was instrumental in it's demise, holing the 109s radiator and causing engine failure before the unavoidable coming together with a haystack.

603 squadrons ORB for the period states R7020 but nothing more.

Thank you and appreciate all the help you guys (and gals) have offered these past few weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back