Can anyone identify the unit of this Japanese aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Musec04

Airman
Dec 7, 2021
Hi,

Can anyone identify the unit of this Japanese aircraft with a three bladed propeller imposed on a star?

Starprop.jpg

Regards,

Clint

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
It is the Mitsubishi Ki-30 Ann and the marking on the tail belonged to the unidentified unit in China in 40'. Perhaps Shinpachi Shinpachi can shed some light.

Hi,

Can anyone identify the unit of this Japanese aircraft with a three bladed propeller imposed on a star?

Regards,

Clint
Mitsubishi Type 97 single-engine light bomber [Ki30], dark green on top, green earth cloud camouflage/gray-green on bottom
Example: Ki30 unit unknown
Hamamatsu Airfield, Shizuoka Prefecture, 1943
1712771564473.png

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
What is "29th Squadron"? 29th Sentai flew Ki.44, Ki.30 were used by 6, 16, 31, 32, 35, 90, (82, 87) Sentai according to the "Japanese Army Air Force Camouflage and Markings World War II" by Thorpe et al., Aero Publishers, 1968. The independent Chutai with the number 29 is not mentioned in the book.
It's in the Hikoki book, Emblems of the Rising Sun IJAAF Unit Markings. The 29th flew Babs and Ida (1939-1940), Ida (1940-1941), Anna and Ida (1941) and Ki-44s (1944) as well as Franks (1944-1945). On the Ki-44 you are absolutely correct.

Last edited:
Shinpachi can put this to rest for all of us since he can most certainly read the text without the use of a translator.

It's in the Hikoki book, Emblems of the Rising Sun IJAAF Unit Markings. The 29th flew Babs and Ida (1939-1940), Ida (1940-1941), Anna and Ida (1941) and Ki-44s (1944) as well as Franks (1944-1945). On the Ki-44 you are absolutely correct.
1712788572759.png

Last edited:
Notice there is no.3 chutai marking displayed. With these units, the markings are not consistent. If it's one thing with IJA and IJN, there were changes all of the time. I was just upstairs looking through the Cea books and I came across unit markings I have never seen before. It's a nightmare. I didn't see this one in any of the army unit books. As stated before, Shinpachi has more knowledge and language skills. I am sure Wurger (who has tremendous knowledge I have seen displayed), can also shed some light on this.

Last edited:
29th Sentai also flew Ki-15, Ki-36 and Ki-51s 1939-1941. This is from Ceske Tiskarny Japanese Army Air Force Units Jadnotky Japonského Armádního Letectva Nihon Rikugun Hikō Tai part 1 (2003). As stated before, nothing is certain.

29th Sentai also flew Ki-15, Ki-36 and Ki-51 1939-1941.png

If so, than why claim so confidently that it's the 29th sentai?
Best guess at this point. If I am wrong, then that's fine. We both learn something new and cool at the same time. It's the whole point of why we are on here. To learn new things and dig for new facts. I tell my students all the time I don't know everything and that by constantly striving to learn, that makes it worth spending time on. I learnt new information today because you got me thinking. As far as I am concerned, that's a good thing. I uncovered new units I have never heard of. It's wild how many independent companies they had. Thanks for that. Shinpachi will have something. He's into this as much as we are.

That is a Ki-30 at the Nanjing Outer City Airfield circa 1943.
Unit is unknown but estimated belonging to an independent unit or the headquarters in Nanjing.

View attachment 773233
Seems, that the same illustration travels from book to book - I copied it from this edition:
1712819478231.png

Could you please check the accuracy of the automatic translation of the caption in the picture I posted above?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back