87sqn Hurricane night fighter scheme (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

There is book written by a Hurricane PR pilot who flew in the Western Desert. In fact I've read of two pilots who flew P.R. Hurricanes there. They had a rough time of it but when the new Tomahawks started arriving in strength they hit upon the idea of coordinating their missions so to take some of the pressure off of the P.R. missions.

Actually if you have a close up look you may notice that the aircraft was repainted at some areas. For instance the tail. The serial number was moved back and can be found below the horizontal stabilizer while it should be in front of it. The fin at the fin flash area was also overpainted , perhaps in order to keep the correct size of the marking there. It looks like the rudder and the fuselage behind the wing trailing edge got the dark green camo spot later. Well the question is if the black undersides are the leftover of the overall black camo or not. IMHO the aircraft could be repainted from the black kite to the DG/OG on tops. It may be indicated by the fin flash and roundel type. The colour image of the LK-A dated on early 1942 shows the markings of the earlier type.

View attachment 662441
View attachment 662386

View attachment 662392
the pic source: the net.
Hey guys anyone know about the exhaust glare shield strip's attached to NF Hurricanes? I'm thinking of scratching them up. I'm trying to work out dimensions. Looks about 2ft long? width maybe 6in? Cheers

A coupleof shots I found on : Dark Knight

Clipboard01a.jpg
Clipboard01b.jpg
Clipboard01c.jpg

The Monogram kit measures out to 1.1 cm long and 0.4 cm wide. Real size would equate to 52.8 cm long (20.8 inches) and 19.2 cm wide (7.6 inches).

Big question is if it "looks right" and I guess it does.

The Monogram kit measures out to 1.1 cm long and 0.4 cm wide. Real size would equate to 52.8 cm long (20.8 inches) and 19.2 cm wide (7.6 inches).

Big question is if it "looks right" and I guess it does.
I scaled up a photo and it came to about 75cm give or take., if my maths is right. The width is awkward, I'm guessing 20-25cm . I wonder if they were all a standard size though

I have found an old publication with Hurricane drawings in 1/72 scale. The deflector is 9mm long and 1,8mm wide. It is 13,5mm x 2,7mm in 1/48 scale.
So you almost hit
After looking at a bunch more photos, it appears they were not standard size and they were not even placed in the same position, so there was variation with this as well. So unless I can find a photo of LK-? clearly showing the shield I'll take a punt.

I would say the enlarged shot attached in my post on the previous page should be enough to estimate the deflector dimensions and its lacation for the LK-? ...

hurricane-87-sqn-lk-question-mark_enlarged-jpg.jpg

It looks like the anti-glare shield was large enough to sit on it quite comfortably

Hurricane-IIc-RAF-87Sqn-LK-Question-.jpg

I would say the enlarged shot attached in my post on the previous page should be enough to estimate the deflector dimensions and its lacation for the LK-? ...

View attachment 663642

It looks like the anti-glare shield was large enough to sit on it quite comfortably

View attachment 663643

Ah didn't know the first photo was LK?, that's great, thanks

I see. Please note the "?" mark at the underside of the black painted engine cowl. So no doubt that's the LK-? Hurricane.

I see. Please note the "?" mark at the underside of the black painted engine cowl. So no doubt that's the LK-? Hurricane.
Well spotted, I'll have to paint that on as I don't have a decal for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back