8th Air Force P-51D "Petie 2nd"

bdefen

Senior Airman
511
549
Joined
Nov 26, 2019
Location
Boise, Idaho USA
Thought I'd try a Mustang and lacquer. Mr. Color metallic aluminum-finish lacquer. Did the airbrushing in my wide-open garage, wore a respirator. I was protected from the fumes, but when I stepped outside of my garage and removed the respirator, the fumes were really strong. I walked across the street and I could smell them there. Not dissing the paint or the quality, but I'll stick with acrylics from now on. Had a "painting incident" where I smudged (inadvertently fingered) the still-wet finish just below the canopy left side. Did the best I could to touch up, but damage was done. A case of "if you step in it, better wipe your shoe and keep walking". Rubbed the dry finish before clear-coating. I'm still learning.

I've seen nice renditions of this model here before.
 

Attachments

  • 1 Kit.JPG
    1 Kit.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 158
  • 2 Ready for primer.JPG
    2 Ready for primer.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 176
  • P8250011.JPG
    P8250011.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 164
  • P8250001.JPG
    P8250001.JPG
    731.9 KB · Views: 157
  • P8250002.JPG
    P8250002.JPG
    679.9 KB · Views: 153
  • P8250012.JPG
    P8250012.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 160
  • P8250008.JPG
    P8250008.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 168
  • P8250013.JPG
    P8250013.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 177
Thanks to all for your kind comments and encouragement. My skills ( I use that term loosely ) are coming along.

I'm getting some nice inspiration and tips on my Me109 Galland build from this 2011 thread:

 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back