A Minor Nuisance in Modelling by Manufacturers....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
I think that it's funny, with everything that manufacturers can do regarding aircraft kits, all the way down to 1/144, they can't make simple indentations to help with the rigging in 1/48 or 1/32....

Is it just me that finds it annoying?

A certain British firm still market kits nearly as old as me, first produced in the 1950's, and now in new packaging. Up until the mid 1960's, these kits retailed at Two Shillings (10 Pence in current UK currency), and are now at over Ten Pounds each and upwards.
Another irritation are sprue attachment points in silly places, especially on the sides of small items such as gun barrels, landing gear legs etc, when they could probably be on the ends of these items.

A certain British firm still market kits nearly as old as me, first produced in the 1950's, and now in new packaging. Up until the mid 1960's, these kits retailed at Two Shillings (10 Pence in current UK currency), and are now at over Ten Pounds each and upwards.
Another irritation are sprue attachment points in silly places, especially on the sides of small items such as gun barrels, landing gear legs etc, when they could probably be on the ends of these items.
Have to agree Terry and a good case in question is the larger 1/12 scale 1930 Bentley. Costs an arm and a leg and you get a box of excess plastic, misshaped parts with anodized aluminium part and I believe the whole lot comes all the way to UK from China. :D

....and that it's always the same (put your choice of sentence enhancer here) subjects when it comes to decals! 🙄

....as in, where's a good 1/48:

IMG_20230705_150328.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, kit ( and many decal) companies mainly seem to tend to go for "aces" or other well-known subjects, forgetting the "ordinary" subjects, with a plethora of Galland's, Johnson's, Moelders etc etc, rather than providing a representative aircraft from a unit.
I think the last time I modelled a well-known/ace subject, other than for a specific series of themed models, was when I was around 12 - which was some time before calendars were invented !

I still vividly remember what a PIA it was to remove the sprue from the front leg of the 1/72 P-39 A....x kit, the good ole time of the models in a plastic satchel.

Yep, kit ( and many decal) companies mainly seem to tend to go for "aces" or other well-known subjects, forgetting the "ordinary" subjects, with a plethora of Galland's, Johnson's, Moelders etc etc, rather than providing a representative aircraft from a unit.
I think the last time I modelled a well-known/ace subject, other than for a specific series of themed models, was when I was around 12 - which was some time before calendars were invented !

Was that before, or during the first period, we started to write on clay tablets?

Totally agree....🤜🏻🤛🏻

With my ever so slight obsession with "13", I've come across tons of interesting stories and destinies looking for them!

Lockheed PV-1 Ventura 29794 (VB-136) MIA on flight to Kiska Harbor the 10th of May 1943.
5 crew MIA.

Lockheed PV-1 Ventura 29847 (VB-136) MIA NAS Adak, Alaska, on the 10th of May 1943, during search for 29794.
5 crew MIA.

....comes to mind!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back