A new book in my library.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I will browse them before I order against my wishlist.
In fact there's a book on a Blackburn aircraft I've been watching for 4 years now.

I would suggest you add bookfinder.com to your source list. They search all the major bookseller web sites but like Abebooks you must know the title or authors name

And they are multi lingual

I would suggest you add bookfinder.com to your source list. They search all the major bookseller web sites but like Abebooks you must know the title or authors name

And they are multi lingual

View attachment 529743
Excellent! Thank you for the suggestion!!! Greatly appreciated!

I just did a quick search. I'm in love. Thank you!

This came today after a tour of the west coast, which is odd because it was purchased in New York...and I live in New York. Anyway, anything that adds to my knowledge of one of my favorite planes is alright.

Making commercial aircraft interesting since before 2001.

Last edited by a moderator:
Darling is a bit hit or miss at times. However, I'm not aware of surfeit of books on the Comet. Please let us know if you think it was worth the money.

Darling is a bit hit or miss at times. However, I'm not aware of surfeit of books on the Comet. Please let us know if you think it was worth the money.

Honestly I wouldn't know. The only other book I have with as any Comet information in it is from the Time-Life Epic of Flight series, and that is mostly how there determined it was explosive decompression that brought those two down. Looks good to my untrained eyes though.

Have a look at this if you are interested in more books on the comet. BookFinder.com: Search Results (Matching Titles)

Neville Shute, who designed the Airspeed aircraft among other things, wrote No Highway in 1948 which predicted accidents caused by metal fatigue, the main factor in the comet crashes. The comet accidents were caused by metal fatigue resulting in explosive decompression. The book was good enough to make into a film called No Highway in the Sky but the film, to me, was pretty awful.

During 1924-1931 Shute was closely involved in the construction of the English airship R100, which successfully flew back and forth to Canada before being grounded for political reasons. He talks about this in his autobiography Slide Rule. The R100 was in a contest with the public service designed R101 which crashed and burned in Northern France on its first trip.

These books are interesting because Shute is both an design engineer and a good writer, so they provide a unique view of technical development during that part of his lifetime.

Another of Shute's predictive books was What happened to the Corbetts. It was roundly slammed by the experts when released in 1938 however by 1940 it was the training bible for emergency services personnel.

Round the bend is also loosely set in an aviation environment

In WW2 he was closely involved in developing various armament systems for the RAF, which is described in by Gerald Pawle's book Most Secret.

[Edits for clarity, spelling and grammar]

Last edited:

I loved that movie! It had Jimmy Stewart in it! I remember the plane was called the Reindeer and it had the most ridiculous tail with like 3 horizontal stabilizers!

I loved that movie! It had Jimmy Stewart in it! I remember the plane was called the Reindeer and it had the most ridiculous tail with like 3 horizontal stabilizers!

Thats the one. Jimmy Stewart was great as always but the plot did not have the power of the book version which I had read just a few weeks earlier (and a couple of times since)

Users who are viewing this thread