A new book in my library.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Geeze guys, I was going to look through this thread and see what would be some
great books for my research. Vick's post (2010) here was the first to pop up. What
did they do? Take Greene's book and chop it up into 2 or 4 volumes? I bought the
full book back in 1986 for $37.50!....
We seriously need to collaborate and build a time machine. I can't afford these new
prices. The time machine will be cheaper.

It was supposed to 3 volumes. First volume came out and nothing else...shame. It was/is a greatly expanded reissue post Green's death that included not only German aircraft, but captured aircraft, hence the title modification. Still smarting from the other two issues not coming out, especially since later information seem to indicate that they were mostly or completely finished. Still have a space on my shelf for them. Hope springs eternal.

Well two latest in my library. Been looking for both of these at a decent price for quite a while.

The B-25 book is on the 41st bomb group with the 7th air force I believe is a rare subject and the Stalingrad book gives me three out of the 4 books in the series. Just need to find the Battle of Kursk for a decent price.

Very cool Wayne, hope you had a great trip. Great score there as well. May have to add to list.

Don't you get stuff like that for free?

I wish....but unfortunately not. I sometimes receive a complimentary copy of stuff I've been invited to work on..but even then not always. Some authors have so many 'helpers' that would be impractical I guess. Case in point would be the latest Boiten 'Nachtjagd' series from Wingleader - a lot of my translated accounts went into that production (about 75 A-4 pages worth of text)

Here is my Amazon review;
Purchased from a local brick and mortar Hobby Shop (Sorry Amazon, gotta keep the neighborhood modelers hangout going.)
It is almost impossible to wax too enthusiastic about this volume from Naval Fighters (NF). Obviously built on the foundation of his other books, Mr. Thomason starts NF108 with a pre-history covering preceding aircraft programs and competitions through the conceptual Model 98 design work, to the F8U-3 competition and beyond. This also includes coverage of ordnance, spotting factors and other minutiae that make up a development and operational history. For 185 pages the volume is remarkably complete and detailed. (Please note Amazon transposed the page count. It is not 158.) Due to the subject this book does deviate a bit from the standard Ginter formula in that there are no unit histories per se. The model section is in color and as complete as can be expected for a relatively rare airplane. Another pleasant surprise is Mr. Ginter continues to discover color printing and there 24 pages with color prints interspersed towards the back of the volume. The technical illustrations and photographs also meet the usual high-quality standards of the NF series.
This book cements Mr. Thomason's position as probably the best contemporary writer of the technical side of BuAer/NAVAIR. (Don't worry Mr. Tillman, you're still the consummate NAVAIR story teller!)

Two more volumes on the B/N and J/S models would not be unwelcome and if similar in scope would undoubtedly make for an ultimate 3 volume library on the USN Phantom that be without peer.
This book is well worth the price. Highly recommended without reservation and a must buy for anyone interested in the F-4 and modelers.

Users who are viewing this thread