A new book in my library.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

All aircraft are 'her'
DFS Deutshes Forschungsinstiut fur Segelug, German flight research institute, the entire first five or six chapters covers the concept and design which includes several "DFS" numbered test subjects. DFS 39, 49, or maybe 194. Which "Her" are we discussing ?

Lots of drawings and photos of several.

Paid my first visit to the Farnborough Air Sciences Trust Museum today. Definitely worth a visit. The Museum is housed in the building that was the original headquarters for the Royal Flying Corps in 1913, and it's a stone's throw from where Samuel Cody performed the first manned, powered flight in a fixed-wing aircraft in the UK. Some fascinating displays and lots to take in...plus plenty of knowledgeable docents in the museum to explain the exhibits or simply just shoot the breeze with about aviation.

The Museum had a well-stocked second-hand book section that had some real gems...alas, all of which I already own. However, I did find this in the Museum Shop:

I'd wanted a copy of this but online stores were selling it for in excess of $50 which is silly money. I got a brand new copy from FAST for £20. Beatrice Shilling (she of Mrs. Shilling's Orifice fame) was a remarkable engineer and definitely broke multiple moulds during her lifetime. Looking forward to learning more about her life.

I also grabbed this volume which describes the early attempts at fixed-wing aviation in the UK from George Cayley onwards. Hoping it's a good read:

Ah, now I understand the question. I meant the DFS 194.

Users who are viewing this thread