A question concerning aerial refuelling.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

UH-60L Blackhawks. A lot of our mechanics seem to think they know a lot more then they do or they just outright have no clue and then we end up doing a lot of the work ourselves then.

Attachments

• me_199.jpg
    me_199.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 620
I know what you mean, I worked with many folks out of the military and I would say there was about a 50-50 mix. Some really knew their stuff, others didn't have a clue, especially when you put them around small recips (Cessnas, Pipers). Others were just butchers. I hate to say it but the worse maintainers I've seen out of the US Military were Marines!

I worked on air ambulance A-Star helicopters. My employer at the time made dammed sure I knew what I was doing before they turned me loose!

PS - Nice Photo!

FLYBOYJ said:
I worked on air ambulance A-Star helicopters. My employer at the time made dammed sure I knew what I was doing before they turned me loose!

PS - Nice Photo!

That is what I want to do if I dont go back to school when I get out of the Army. Work for a German air ambulance or mountain rescue and then eventually move to Alaska and work there doing the same thing.

As a maintainer its very rewarding but strenuous, there's a lot of pressure on you. You also have to deal with the personalities of the flight crews. Many of my pilots were former Army, a couple of them would bark at me like I was on KP - after a few "discussions" they knew not to leave their helmet bag unattended while I was around :pukeleft:

Overall, its a job I liked but I was glad to move on - you really have to be into the mission if you want to stick with it! :propellerhead:

FLYBOYJ said:
As a maintainer its very rewarding but strenuous, there's a lot of pressure on you. You also have to deal with the personalities of the flight crews. Many of my pilots were former Army, a couple of them would bark at me like I was on KP - after a few "discussions" they knew not to leave their helmet bag unattended while I was around :pukeleft:

Overall, its a job I liked but I was glad to move on - you really have to be into the mission if you want to stick with it! :propellerhead:

I have been crewing and maintaining for almost 6 years now. I have 1256 flight hours logged in the Blackhawk now and several thousand hours of maintenance time. I really enjoy the job and cant wait to do it on the civilian side.

Yeah I just finished that actually. The hard part was actually finding someplace in Germany to take the test. The German A&P is actually different then the American one and I wanted the German. There happens to be 3 here in Germany that can give you the practical test.

Good show! - without an A&P you're sunk. I tell this to everyone getting out of the military who wants to continue in aviation as a maintainer. I'm guessing in Germany, you're getting the JAA Aircraft Maintenance Engineer Certificate, another great notch as that makes you marketable internationally. An A&P is worth at least a 2 year degree!

FLYBOYJ said:
Good show! - without an A&P you're sunk. I tell this to everyone getting out of the military who wants to continue in aviation as a maintainer. I'm guessing in Germany, you're getting the JAA Aircraft Maintenance Engineer Certificate, another great notch as that makes you marketable internationally. An A&P is worth at least a 2 year degree!

There is actually a program with the US Army where I can take my military aviation training and my A&P and use it towards an Aviation Degree.

Yep- Keep checking in at the website for AIR METHODS and PHI Helicopters (a google search should direct you to the exact site). They normally show what openings are available. When you start getting real short I'll try to get you an audience with the Air Methods HR manager (we'll talk more about that via e mail). I know they were looking for folks in Alaska a few years ago, right know from what I understand the hot spot is the US South east.

And now you get to do the job you love in somewhat safer and more comfortable conditions! And I'm guessing the pay won't be peanuts either!

Good stuff! :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back