A.S. & ALT. SERVO

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Stace

Recruit
May 7, 2021
Hi
I have found this in an auction, but i don't know what it is and it is possible it is not aircraft related.
If not please let me know and i will do the necessary.

P1060394.JPG

It seems to have a bellow missing, anyway i am trying to find out what it is, if you have seen one before please let me know and i would be much appreciated.
There is a label on the right which says:
A.S. & ALT. SERVO
TYPE HB-1
AC- 1594169 SER. 14971
THE FULTON SYLPHON CO.

I have never seen anything like this so it would nice to be able to put a name to it and maybe learn something about it.
If you need any more information please let me know
Thanks
Stacey

Your picture reminded me of a video I saw some time ago about the operation of the Sperry T-1 (british Mk.XIV) bombsight. The parts you have bought are the bellows used to measure the airspeed and altitude of the aircraft. You can see their presentation at 6:46 in the video.

Hi Baballl
Thanks for your reply that's great, so it's part of a Bombsight kit for lack of a better word, the part which uses the speed and altitude to calculate the bomb drop trajectory.

This was along with the bellows, it may be for the bellows or something related.
An interesting piece, it takes 24v and changes it to 13v and 200v but what's it for

P1060395.JPG

P1060396.JPG

I have looked on the internet but could not find it.
Thanks for all your help

Part of the bomb sight computer for the British Mk.XIV sight, and / or the American produced version, the Sperry T-1.
The Mk.XIV computer is shown below, and the US version looked more or less the same.
i think he second item is related, but I'd need to find and check the manual for the Mk.XIV sight. The part is British though - note the Air Ministry stamp and crown.

Bomb sight computer.jpg

This was along with the bellows, it may be for the bellows or something related.
An interesting piece, it takes 24v and changes it to 13v and 200v but what's it for

I have looked on the internet but could not find it.
Thanks for all your help

It looks like a voltage converter. If it is related to the sight it could be the power unit for it.

The brushes running on the commutator often produce sparks. How would that be protected in combat if a fuel leak happens, such as fuel tank damage?

Hey, i found some information on the Motor Generator here:
Type: 320
Ref: 10K/37
Technology: Rotary
Input: 24-32V d/c 33.4W
Output: 200V 50mA; 120V; 13V 1.8A
Use: Beam approach equipment
Notes: Rotary transformer Type M (10K/11852) or Type 38(10K/187) using input carbon-pile regulator Type 13. Choke smoothing for +200V with neon stabilised +120V

But any more information will be welcomed and appreciated :)
Thanks for all your help.

So it looks like it was probably part of the Beam Approach equipment, normally an extension, or development, of the "Lorenz" equipment in British aircraft, mainly bombers, with the external " towel rail" antenna, as seen on,, for example, Lancaster and Halifax aircraft.
This was an early version of ILS ( Instrument Landing System ), and involved a basic radio transmitted signal to the Beam Approach receiver, which guided the aircraft on it's final approach to the runway heading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back