About the Grim Reapers

Skywalker Jin

Airman 1st Class
211
188
Joined
Oct 23, 2025
Hello there.
When it comes to October, we met the Battle of Santa Cruz, a battle which was the most intense fight in 1942.
US lost the Hornet and the Enterprise was the only carrier they could use in the Pacific for a period of time.
Japs lost more elite pilots and the rest of them would be cleared by the Cactus Air Force and the corsairs on the island

I will share my thoughts of those books(maybe more):
The Grim Reapers by Stanley Johnston
The Grim Reapers by Peter B. Mersky
Battle in the South Pacific: Carrier duel in the Santa Cruz Islands by Guozhi He(A friend of mine)
 
Following my previous research on VF-42, their former XO Jimmy Flatley became the CO of VF-10, which was known as The Grim Reapers.
I regard VF-10 as "The spirit of the Lady Lex and the Mighty Y" for many of this squadron's pilot was from VS-2,VF-2,VS-5 and VF-42.
VF-2 was known as The Flying Chief and VF-42 was known as one of the most experienced fighter squadron in early stage of the war.
Now I'm reading Stanley's book and I found even in the battle of Coral Sea, many experienced US pilots(like "Swede",Flatley) can shot down the "terrible" Zero.
This fact indicates that the Zero had its weakness and it was so obvious that US pilots can find it out in the first clash of the carriers.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back