Academy Decals

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Screaming Eagle

Senior Master Sergeant
Nov 26, 2006
Queensland, Australia
Hi all,

As you may know, academy decals never stay on. As I am nearing the end of my model i was wondering what do you use to keep the decals on. My friend suggested to mix up a mixture of 60-40 water-pva glue to help them stick. Wha is your opinion on this and is there anyway to keep them on?

Thanks in advance,

Jason

With the Academy decals there are always problems.Some years ago it was suggested to use a glue called in Poland "arabian rubber" ( direct translation into English).The glue was available in my country in mid bottles but today it hasn't been achieved any more.The glue it was the same one which is still using for stamps fixing.I don't know if it is the same glue you have mentioned (water-pva glue ) above but if yes you can use this.As I said the "arabian rubber" is not available now so I use for this a glue which is on decal sheets at the free of decal areas.Sometimes if I need more I go to post office where I can find many pieces of paper with the glue that are remainds of the stamp sheets.
Then I use a brush to get the glue diluted with a couple drops of water and put it on model at the areas where decals should be.Certainly these areas are covered erlier with a gloss varnish in order to improve the decal ability of sticking.There is also another mathod of sticking decals called " on wet varnish" but I don't recommend it.

Theres a decal setting solution, not sure what its called though.

I used the stock decals on a Hawker Hurricane II with just warm water
later lightly brushed over them with humbrol matt varnish.

Seemed to do the job well enough.

As Heinz stated ,use lukewarm water.I pat them down real well and let them dry.After I clean the model I brush on glosscote laquer and let it dry.(DO NOT SPRAY GLOSSCOTE AT THIS POINT) When the laquer is dry you can now overspray with Glosscote to hide the film.Finish with a coat of dullcote and you are done.I use the MicroScale system on all but Academy,Airfix type and model car decals.These all just curl up with it.
Ed

As Heinz mentioned about a warm water.I've just recalled myself that I read somewhere an article about assembling of Academy models.A guy mantioned that if the Academy decals are wetting with a much more warm but not hot water they become more elastic and easier is to settle them on a model.But I haven't checked it so far.Simply I use other decal sets that are available at shops ( Techmod sets for instance) because the Academy ones have wrong colours very often.

With the Academy decals there are always problems.Some years ago it was suggested to use a glue called in Poland "arabian rubber" ( direct translation into English).

Gum Arabic. These days the only place I can think of where you might get it is an art supplies shop as it is used in water colour paints. Agama's Adhesol seems to be gum arabic with acetic acid added. Their Hyersol might be useful with these decals as it is very strong.

Hi Antoni,
"Gum Arabic" can be the English name of the glue.I haven't seen the glue for many years.I have to ask about this at a shop with a paper stuff.

I think the days when Gum Arabic was sold as paper glue are long gone. It's Pritt Sticks and white pva now. Even stamps are self-adhesive today. Maybe it is still used on envelopes or brown paper parcel tape. Main use nowadays is in foodstuff as thickening agent. Also cosmetics, sweets (wine gums) and medicines. It is used in inks and water colours so you can find it easily in art supplies shop but a little expensive I think.

Product background

Easiest is to by Agama decal solutions.

Agama PÅ'yny do kalkomanii - 10,00PLN : Jadarhobby

Mr Mark Setter is I think pva glue in alcohol so much thinner. I have not used it because I heard that it leaves stains that cannot be removed.

Wyszukiwanie zaawansowane : Jadarhobby

Hi Antoni,
I know the liquids for decals, not the Agama's ones but also Gunze's ones.To be honest these are useful and help to put a decal on a model and match the decal with a surface under this.But the glue is needed to stick a decal to the surface not these liquids.

BTW .The stamps with the Gum Arabic are still using in Poland.The self-adhesive ones didn't become popular in my country.Your nickname also sounds Polish.Are you a Pole?

I do like Academy models, but I agree the decals are very poor, I use Klear to stick them down to hold in place then I use my own mix to soften, and so far have had good results, my own brew softner is:

70% Clear acetone (not nail varnish remover)
20% De-Ionised water
10% Iso
This mix cant be brushed on, just use an eye dropper to place one drop in the middle, then a cocktail stick to spread over the decal, then I leave for 5 mins and then absorb the rest with a tissue, then let it dry overnight.

I mix it in 100ml portions, but as always with other peoples home brews try it on a scrap model first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back