Accurate markings Lancaster "Still Going Strong..."

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Gerry

Staff Sergeant
Jan 4, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to the forum. I'm looking for some information to accurately model Revell's 1/72 scale Avro Lancaster Mk 1/ Mk 111, a Christmas gift. I have enough information to accurately model The Mk 111 varient "Grog's The Shot..." thanks to other informative threads I've found here. However, I would like to model the Mk 1 "Still Going Strong..." as I prefer the Lanc without the Radar Dome underneath. I would also like to paint it without the white tail fins, which I assume are late-war daylight markings. So, is it accurate to portray this aircraft without the white fins, and if so, would I need to reduce the number of missions on the missions decal? My other question is: Would that Mk1 varient, late in the war, still have perspex windows running the length of the fuselage or would they have been filled/painted in as per the box artwork?
Any advice or hints would be gratefully received.

Gerry, can you provide the Squadron number and code, and the serial number please? If the box art pic is of this aircraft, that would help also. I'll have a look through my Lanc 'stuff' to see what I've got. Without knowing the aircraft, but from what you've stated so far, and from its name, it might be that this was an earlier Lanc that was 'still going strong' by the time it was marked as described, presumably at least 1944.
The fuselage windows, mostly, were painted-over in service, with later Lancs not having them at all. Even earlier Lancs normally, but not always, had them painted over. You probably already know it, but the MkI designation didn't neccessarily mean it was an early Lanc, and the difference between the MkI and the MkIII was that the latter had Packard Merlins, otherwise it was basically the same aircraft.
Cheers,
Terry.

Thanks Terry,
It's a Lancaster B Mk.1 No. 9 Squadron, RAF Bardney. Code, WS*J. Serial No. W4964. Unfortunately, the box art is of the other decal varient included in the kit, a Mk. 111, "Grogs The Shot", HW*Z2, with full yellow tailfins and wingtips and no sign of fuselage windows.
Regards,
Gerry

Thanks Gerry, I'll see what I can find for you. The serial number tells me it was a relatively early Lanc, but I'll dig out what I've got and let you know asap.
Terry.

Here you go Gerry. This is all that I can find so far, but hopefully it will help.
Lancaster BI W4964 was delivered to 9 Sqn at Bardney in April 1943, and was on strength until October 1944, when it passed to a Instructional Unit or M.U., serialled 4922M. It was struck off charge in November 1949.
The aircraft completed 106 operations with 9 Sqn, and was 'adopted' by the Johnny Walker whisky company, the nose art displaying the famous trade mark character, and the logo, 'Still Going Strong'.
Originally, the aircraft had the 'plain' dark red code letters, later outlined in yellow, and the fuselage windows were retained. The Squadron took part in 'Operation Paravane', along with 617 squadron when, in September 1944, the attack on The Tirpitz was mounted, the aircraft departing Bardney, via Lossiemouth, for Russia.
Before this the Lanc would have originally been in standard camouflage, without the coloured tail fins. I haven't been able to find an operational record; that would have to be done via the National Archive/RAF Museum, but, if you want to display it in 'earlier' markings, you can, of course, reduce the number of missions on the 'bomb log' on the nose.
I've attached a couple of shots of the crew, disembarking after a raid on Stettin, Jan 1 1944. The chap in the door is Sgt. Zammit, a native of New York. There is also a pic of the nose art. Hope this helps.
Terry.

Attachments

• LANC.jpg
    LANC.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 418
  • LANC 003.jpg
    LANC 003.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 304
  • LANC 002.jpg
    LANC 002.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 363
Terry, Thank you so much for taking the trouble to send those excellent reference shots. Along with some other material I found on the web, I think I now have the detail I need to complete the task. I will have to put it on hold for a while, however, as we have builders in for the next few weeks and I don't want dust all over the paintwork!
I'm including two links that might interest you, if you haven't come across them before. The first, http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/b/555/9/1/57[/URL] is an illustration of the aircraft with the white fins. The second is an old thread I found through Google and my first introduction to this forum. It's
http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aircraft-markings-camouflage/lancaster-squadron-leaders-marking-question-11475.html[/URL]. This is a thread on the construction on the other vatient in the kit, "Grog's The Shot". I found it very informative and it may be of interest to you, in the future.
Thank you again and I hope I may be able to return the favour in the future.

Gerry

Glad I was able to help Gerry. Post some shots when you get around to doing the kit, from what I've seen, it looks quite good.
Terry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back