Accurate Mosquito FB Linedrawing/canopy questionf (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

alex33

Airman
Jul 30, 2016
Hello,

So I have a kinda weird question for today. yesterday I was browsing the internet for good linedrawings on the FB Mossie especially from the front and the only one I found pretty much was one from airpages.ru:

mos6.gif

Now looking at this drawing something looks off. To me it looks as if the the whole fuselage is crooked/tilted or that the (from the planes pov) left side (where the pilot sits)of the canopy is higher than the right side. Now I was pretty sure that the drawing is just wrong so I went out to look for more but I just was not able to find any higher quality line drawings of the Mosquito FB that shows her from the front. So I was looking for Pictures of the FB Canopy to see if i could see the Inclining towards the pilot side but I could not find any good pictures, or plans that aren't from a kinda weird angle like here:
18412848221_04364e7800_b.jpg

so I have absolutley no idea, I own like 6 books on the Mosquito but not a single one has a line drawing of the FB from the front.

Does anybody know if the canopy of the Mosquito FB inclines up when it goes to the pilots position making the canopy "crooked" or is this drawing just really bad?

best wishes
Alex

The canopy is not tilted. It's just something you are seeing on the drawing, which could very well be someone's poor artwork.

This is a cut from the original design drawings. Though it does not represent a FB version of the canopy, it does show that the canopy is symmetrical. To offset it as suggested would have involved making new moulds for what would have been little purpose.

Capture.JPG

Sorry Geo but it is not. The right side is a little bit up. I would say the drawing at the area has been misshaped either during scanning or drawing. It happens very often as the kind of drawings is rather a sketch than the accurate plans.

mos6a.jpg

thanks. good to know that the drawing is just clearly wrong and I'm not going crazy hahaha at first I thought it was maybe because the pilot is seated a bit higher then the co pilot but thankfully its just an error cause that would've diminished the mossies beauty a bit in my eyes

You need to talk to the experts and not just recyclers of other people's re-cycled information. Only just recently a cache of microfilmed original blueprints of the Mosquito down to component-level, was discovered hidden in an abandoned warehouse in the UK. These have now been vested in a not-for-profit trust so that they remain In public domain.
However the primary authority is AVSPECS based at Ardmore aerodrome here in Auckland, NEW ZEALAND and who are responsible for several of the currently flying Mosquito restorations ad also, Lyn Powell's Mosquito restorations Limited.

Wrong. The drawings belong to the Peoples Mosquito in the UK and they are NOT public domain. Our organization has been trying to get access since they were found with only a few drawings being passed on to us. Attempts to get more have fallen flat.

Avspecs have done some excellent work but they are NOT the "primary authority". I would suggest that description be shared amongst many reputable organizations and that the folks at the de Havilland Heritage center to be at the pinnacle.

And I'm not a "recycler of other people's recycled information". As a board member of the Calgary Mosquito Aircraft Society and active member of the restoration team working on Mosquito RS700 I do have access to first hand info, some of which I have posted above.

Wrong. The drawings belong to the Peoples Mosquito in the UK and they are NOT public domain. Our organization has been trying to get access since they were found with only a few drawings being passed on to us. Attempts to get more have fallen flat.

Avspecs have done some excellent work but they are NOT the "primary authority". I would suggest that description be shared amongst many reputable organizations and that the folks at the de Havilland Heritage center to be at the pinnacle.

And I'm not a "recycler of other people's recycled information". As a board member of the Calgary Mosquito Aircraft Society and active member of the restoration team working on Mosquito RS700 I do have access to first hand info, some of which I have posted above.
Avspecs are far and away the leading current authority who work in close association with Glyn Powell's fuselage building operation and who I may add supplies components to a variety of offshore Mosquito restoration projects. There is no higher commendation than that! You are clearly unfamiliar with the scale and scope of the Mosquito (and soon to be dH Hornet) rebuilding operations in this country. The results speak for themselves!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back