aftermarket for Fujimi P-51D

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

aqua_ta

Airman 1st Class
Aug 9, 2008
Southampton,England
As the title suggest, I will be building the Fujimi P-51D and would like to know if any cockpit sets will fit it. Also if you think any other resin parts would possibly fit.
Thank you

Presumably this is the 1/48th scale kit, dating from the early 1890s? if so, finding anything specifically designed for this kit will be difficult, if not impossible, as aftermarket stuff just didn't exist at that time (apart from the odd white metal or pe part).
Cockpit sets designed for other kits might work, but as I remember it, this kit was rather narrow in the fuselage cross section, so any aftermarket parts would need adapting more than usual.
Depends what you want to add, but not that much can be seen of the cockpit of the 'D' in this scale (not much in 1/32nd scale either!), so perhaps some scratch-built additions might be a better, and much cheaper, option?

I used an Eduard PE cockpit detail set designed for the Tamiya kit in the old Monogram P-51 and it worked OK. Some extra thinning of the walls and minor trimming was needed but nothing earth shattering. Can't speak for the Fujimi though.

Congratulations on finding a 130 year old kit! (see Terry's post :) )

I built this kit as a kid in about 1984/5 - really enjoyed it, and it was WAY better than the Monogram offering of the time!

Oops! I really ought to get new reading glasses - or new hands !!
From what I remember, apart from the narrow fuselage cross section (only visible from directly above), this kit was probably the best around, overall, at the time. I seem to recall the main wheels wee a bit 'off', but the rest was good, for the time. (At that time, I had a collection of around six P51Ds, from 8th AF groups, two of which were Fujimi, and the rest from other manufacturers, inclsuding Monogram.)

Good stuff Terry! I was just a young fulla at the time, so didn't pick up on those details. I daresay new kits are streets ahead of it now!

Perhaps I'll just go PE then,though I would of liked to change the early type radios. I will have to have a think on that.
Thanks for the responses.

In this scale, the radios can easily be scratch-built, by building boxes from plastic card. Costs a few hours work and cursing, a sheet of plastic card, some streched sprue, wire and glue - saves a heck of a lot compared to a lump of resin which possibly looks little different to the kit part, and only the tops can be seen anyway with the canopy on, open or closed.
Alternatively, for around the price of a resin accessory, possibly less, the ICM kit has all you require.

Your right I will probably just have a go at scratch building my own radios. It's about time I tried to add new skills, so we'll see how it goes.
Thank you

You're welcome, and you'll find it easier than you may imagine, and a lot more satisfying. Many people say to me 'I could never scratch-build anything', but I feel that if a person has the basic skills to assemble a model kit, then scratch work is not much different. As for 'can't', unless one tries, then how do they know they can't?!!
Hope you get the results you want, and looking forward to seeing some pics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back