Air Brushing Tips 2021 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crimea_River

Marshal
Nov 16, 2008
Calgary
We probably have various posts regarding tips and tricks for air brushing but I haven't seen anything in one place and certainly nothing pinned in this painting subforum. Perhaps this latest and greatest thinking on tips to achieve good air brushing results could be pinned here.

This blog is certainly worth a listen but advance up to the 45 minute mark to hear the good stuff from John Miller: Plastic Model Mojo Episode 30: Dr. Strangebrush - Plastic Model Mojo

In the blog. John Miller refers to his web site with tips and tricks articles that can be found here: Model Paint Solutions - Harder & Steenbeck Reseller

The blog is well worth a listen but does go on for quite a while. I found it quite useful and enlightening and made lots of notes. Hopefully you will find it useful as well.

Amazing podcast, information wise. Many thanks for the find and sharing. The portion with John Miller was listened to twice last night. This morning I'm getting the paper and pencil out to take notes. It's interesting though, the portion on discussing paints, Vallejo and others were discussed, but just a bare mention about Tamiya? I have book marked the www.modelpaintsol.com website and plan on spending a lot of time looking through the articles. I had to do a small search for the web site though. Everyone was saying 'modelpaintsolutions', it is 'modelpaintsol'. The comments on, I'll say, 'super-thinning' was interesting as was the unique method of brush cleaning.

Not saying it's the case here but I think some of these guys get freebies from manufacturers and may be compelled to focus on those products publicly.

Not saying it's the case here but I think some of these guys get freebies from manufacturers and may be compelled to focus on those products publicly.

I did listen again to the podcast this morning and Tamiya was indeed discussed. Probably dozed off last night during that portion? I'm currently trying to find the items that were discussed, in one place. My local hobby shop has Vallejo but not the thinner. They have Tamiya but not the large bottles of X-20. Not sure where a Michael's is to try and find the LiquiTex flow aid; sounds like it may be worth trying here in many times very dry central Texas. Are you familiar with the Gunze 'leveling thinner as would be used with Vallejo/Tamiya?

I've read Gunze works very well with Tamiya but, having never tried it myself, you might want to check it out on other build sites. If you can find any art store, they should have Liquitex. Or you can make your own thinner. There are other videos that show basically the same mix. I will try it but I'm having a problem finding one ingredient; never in stock where I go and hard to find a decent shipping price on-line

....and a review here...https://www.cybermodeler.com/tips/thinner.shtml

I did listen again to the podcast this morning and Tamiya was indeed discussed. Probably dozed off last night during that portion? I'm currently trying to find the items that were discussed, in one place. My local hobby shop has Vallejo but not the thinner. They have Tamiya but not the large bottles of X-20. Not sure where a Michael's is to try and find the LiquiTex flow aid; sounds like it may be worth trying here in many times very dry central Texas. Are you familiar with the Gunze 'leveling thinner as would be used with Vallejo/Tamiya?

Not familiar with it Ralph as, like Geo, I find that Gunze stuff is pretty rare here in Western Canadaland it seems. I've stopped using X-20 thinner for my Tamiya paints and only have their Lacquer Thinner for their primer, which I do use. I've just resorted to the much cheaper 70% IPA instead of the X-20 but am keen to add a little bit of the Flow Aid next time I visit Michaels. We have one within walking distance from my home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back