Air Gauge (Carboot find) (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

GeorgeVowles

Airman
Aug 14, 2017
I recently went to a car boot and found what seems to be an air pressure gauge. I know it came from a man who's neighbour worked in the RAF and gifted to him. On the back it has the marking "6A/1337" and "A.M" A quick google brings up only ONE old ebay listing without pictures and no useful information. I did notice however that other RAF air gauges available carry the marking "6A/_4digitnumber_" such as a spitfire with "6A/1600". There is also a marking on the front in the middle that reads "MkVIIIF No. 644 /42. Any help on identifying the aircraft it is originally from would be greatly appreciated! (Also an appraisal would be nice) I will disclose price I payed once an appraisal (if possible) is given. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

IMG_20170814_064959.jpg
IMG_20170814_065014.jpg
IMG_20170814_065035.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not an expert on instruments but this sort of thing would have been a generic instrument used on several different types.

The Spitfire spares site (which has bits from all sorts of aircraft, not just Spitfires) lists a similar gauge, 6A/1596, dated 1943, for £55.

Cheers

Steve

Hi, thanks for replying, I found another post on this site for an R.A.A.F document booklet from 1945 that listed all aircraft parts by name and model numbers and the vehicles they were used in. My Air Pressure Gauge came up as a "C" which is the third type of generic part and mine wad identified as one that would be used in a Hurricane by Graham at Spitfire Spares (I contacted them via email) and it is dated 1942, I'm unsure whether or not it saw action however it was pretty dirty on the inside. If it was used in a working aircraft it either survived a crash, made it home or never met a fight. I'm pretty happy however as it's worth more than what I paid for it. Speaking of which. I paid just £2. Glad I got a good deal. I may or may not sell it, thinking of using it for a British WW2 aircraft simulation cockpit I might build. I've asked for a list of all the aircraft and the Mark/versions they were used on from Graham and hopefully one of those will be suitable for a cockpit I can build. It's a shame because there was a guy with a Lancaster/Halifax R.F Navigation unit there too for £50 in ok condition, I found a couple on ebay for 100+ but I simply didn't have the money at the time. Gutted! Anyway thanks for the help, I assume it's impossible of getting any provenance for a part like this?

Screenshot_20170815-111839.png

Screenshot_20170815-111852.png

Yeah I had to get it for the price, thanks for the help. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back