Aircraft engine

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Definitely a Perseus.

Which model Perseus had a planetary reduction gear, 16 cylinder base studs instead of 8, and no sleeve valve ports? The sleeve ports are where those black things (exhaust stubs) are on these cylinders in this photo of a Perseus.
1579235248291.png

Bristol reduction gear as used on Perseus, Pegasus, Mercury and Hercules.
1579235875756.png

1579236677586.png

Marcel's engine - cylinders and reduction gear
1579236974253.png

Hello all,

I believe the engine is a Wright R-1820 G100. The R-1820 G100 seems to have all the features discernible on the salvaged engine. I too thought it was a Bristol engine at first, and it took me a while to come to my current conclusion.

Studying the images, we can see that the engine has finely finned steel cylinder barrels that would accommodate screwed and shrunk aluminum heads. To me, the fine fins are a rather advanced feature. The steel crankcase can be either an archaic or an advanced feature. Combine the steel crankcase with the fine fins, and we are looking at two hallmarks of later Wright engines. Wright started making steel crankcases for the R-1820 G100 series around 1937. These engines also had very fine fins.

The Cylinders are secured by sixteen studs, same as the R-1820 G100.

Between the gear reduction and the crankcase is a two-track cam ring. This indicates that the engine did not use sleeve valves and both the intake and exhaust pushrods were on the front of the engine. The cam ring and the style of planetary gear reduction match that used by Wright on some of the R-1820 G100s.

The crankcase bolts also match the style used by Wright when they first switched to steel. I believe later steel crankcases had the bolts on the inside of the crankcase. Wright used either aluminum or magnesium for the gear reduction and supercharger housings. Like the aluminum heads, these would have melted away as the subject images show.

The image below is of a R-1820G. It has sixteen-studs securing the cylinder. The bolt pattern and cylinder flange style both match the salvaged engine. The crankcase shape and bolt (four o'clock position) also match the subject engine. Note the fine fins on the cylinder barrels. Also, compare the differences with this engine and the one in post 21. I am not certain, but the engine in post 21 could be a later R-1820 with internal crankcase bolts.
Wright_R-1820_G.jpg

Below is an image of a R-1820 G100. Note that the planet pinion of the gear reduction matches that of the subject engine.
167024745.FzzNjnRb.WrightR1820G100AEHS.jpg

Thank you.
Like others I hate to be wrong but I also like, even more, to learn
So I guess now the question is what aircraft?
Apart from the Buffalo what aircraft had R-1820s and spinners?

One of the guys at a Dutch forum ( and someone I trust) thinks it'sa Cyclone R1820. He thinks it has a spinner that ends at the propeller and has adjustable blades with a contra weight, which might suggest a DC2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back