Aircraft Nickname Master List (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

What's so hard to understand they just used the german phonetic (spoken) alphabet so E became Emil. That's no referral to the Bf 109, just to the subversion E. Same with Friedrich, Gustav for F/G etc.
See also my example with F-16 - if you call something Alpha it does not automatically refer to a F-16A
So you're saying that the RLM used the names in their official documents rather than the assigned Bf109 and sub designation?

So the RLM referred to the Bf109D simply as "Dora" when issuing orders or filing action reports, for example?

I don't think he's saying that.
I think what Denniss meant is that "Dora" could just as well refer to the Fw 190 D.

Who nicknamed the Me 262 the "Blow Job". I have never heard that. Not saying it is not true, just that I am not aware.

...:D

my father referred to jets as "blow jobs" until the term became synonymous for something else...then he may have called them that...but not to me...lol

I don't think he's saying that.
I think what Denniss meant is that "Dora" could just as well refer to the Fw 190 D.

That is how I have always understood it. It was not limited to the 109.

Anton, Dora, etc was nothing more than the phonetic alphabet equating to the variant of any aircraft.

Examples:

Fw 190Dora
Bf 109Dora
Ju 87Dora

That is how I have always understood it. It was not limited to the 109.

Anton, Dora, etc was nothing more than the phonetic alphabet equating to the variant of any aircraft.

Examples:

Fw 190Dora
Bf 109Dora
Ju 87Dora
What Deniss is complaining about, is that those shouldn't be on the nickname list becaue they are phoenetic designations, but I disagree, because the RLM didn't use those in reference, they simply listed a type as Bf109G-6, Ju87D-2, Fw190D-9, etc.

It was the pilots and others who referred to the type in the phoenetic sense, like Gustav or Dora Nine, etc.

So "Dora" is a nickname?
Wouldn't it have to be put into some sort of context to avoid ambiguity?

Blow Job is not very flattering, is it? :evil4:

Ahhh...hence the name Swallow!? :thumbleft:

swallow.jpg

What's so hard to understand they just used the german phonetic (spoken) alphabet so E became Emil. That's no referral to the Bf 109, just to the subversion E. Same with Friedrich, Gustav for F/G etc.

See also my example with F-16 - if you call something Alpha it does not automatically refer to a F-16A

Nickname, further, unofficial nickname. The vast majority of the names on this list are unofficial and made up on the fly. Just names, nicknames, that the pilots, crew, maintainers, and others called the aircraft. Used instead of the official designation or name (if it had an official name).

I have heard, first hand, former LW pilots say along the lines of "Gustav had a good turn of speed", when they were obviously using the nickname Gustav for the Bf109G. And who says a nickname cannot be derived from part of the official designation? Further in such applications I have often not heard such modifiers as "the" Gustav, but rather just the name, Gustav, used as a name.

Yes, I understand, fully, that Gustav is German phonetics for G, but if the pilots and maintainers called the Bf109G "Gustav" used just as a name would be, then that sure sounds like a nickname to me.

T!

when I was on a Tornado squadron we called them GR4's but no one was under the illusion that it was a nickname, it was just a shorthand way of reffering to them.

Here's a few more:
"Dogwhistle" or just "Dog" - T-37 (the kerosene siren)
"Ensign Eater" - RA5C Vigilante (named for its challenging handling in carrier landings)

"FLUFF" (Fat Little Ugly Fu..er) - T-37 (mil) or B737 (civ)
"Hummer" - E-2 Hawkeye
"Missile" - F104
"Stoof with roof" (also "Pancake", "Flapjack" or "Sled") - W2F/E-1 Tracer
"Switchblade" - F-111/FB-111
"Tad" or "Tadpole" - A-6 Intruder
"Texaco" or just "Tex" - KA-6 tanker
"Teeny" or "Teeny-Weeny" - T-34
"Whale" - A3D/A-3 or "Papa Whale" for a KA3D (named for their size on a carrier deck)
Been told by those who've worked there that the deck apes, maintainers, and handlers up in Pri-Fly all referred to the A-6 family as Tads, Texes, and Queers according to which version they were.

Also sometimes heard Vigilantes referred to as "Rampstrikes", or just "Rampers", due to the appalling number that ended up that way. The beast was heavy, fast, and slippery with huge response lag in flight and power controls at carrier approach speeds. Hard on the catapults, the arresting gear, the landing gear, the LSO' s nerves, and of course the flightcrew.

Just for comparison; the Vige had the same engines as the Phantom, but on full internal fuel weighed 20,000 pounds more, went twenty knots faster at the same fuel flow, had 20% longer endurance, and came onto the boat 20K heavier and 20kt faster than a Phantom. And it could SUSTAIN mach 1+ on the deck, Which nothing else but the Thud could do.

Just for comparison; the Vige had the same engines as the Phantom, but on full internal fuel weighed 20,000 pounds more, went twenty knots faster at the same fuel flow, had 20% longer endurance, and came onto the boat 20K heavier and 20kt faster than a Phantom. And it could SUSTAIN mach 1+ on the deck, Which nothing else but the Thud could do.

The Vigilante had wings that were too large for it to break mach at SL, it's best sustained speed at that altitude was .95

Even the SR-71 and XB-70 were maxed at .95 at sea level by virtue of their design.

The F-104 and F-111 on the otherhand, were extremely capable of exceeding mach @ SL, as was the Tornado and the Viggen.

I understand the Buccaneer was pretty hot in the weeds, too...but I don't have any info to back that up. Perhaps one of the guys across the pond might be able to shed some light on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back