Aircraft nicknames

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Apparently the 'Fork Tailed Devil' for the P38 was never used by the Luftwaffe,being a 'Press' invention. The title 'Whispering Death' was, apparently, bestowed upon the Beaufighter, by the Japanerse, due to the sound made by the sleeve valved Bristol Hercules engines, only heard at the final moment, and on departure, at low level.
Although it's true about the sound made by the Corsair, whether the title was ever actually used by the japanese is questionable - I'm guessing another media invention.

British troops called the stuka "Asthmatic Whore"

And that's more of the type of nick-name that I would expect troops to refer to the enemy's planes with, one that tears them down in their eyes, not one that builds them up.

And that's more of the type of nick-name that I would expect troops to refer to the enemy's planes with, one that tears them down in their eyes, not one that builds them up.

Exactly. I recall the Japanese had the "Ohka" which was the manned suicide jet dropped from a Betty Bomber. I have read our pilots called it "Baka" which translated to: Dumb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back