Aircraft part identification, Luftwaffe?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

gasngulp

Recruit
Jan 19, 2021
I recently uncovered this in a garage whilst clearing a property. I'd like to Identify which aircraft this may have come from. It appears to be from a German plane due to the "Nichi anfassen" on the upper left side. I suspect this could be WW2 due to the age and other items in the property. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
17ECAC5D-C86A-49CE-AA67-6B4B55E3FCAD.jpeg
763118EE-6786-4940-B058-2C412CB2A751.jpeg
3DFE1828-8CC0-499C-8490-224AD6DFEBCD.jpeg
3CB630DD-8ED5-4F71-8869-06B564FC405D.jpeg
9202DA42-9027-4A8C-997B-0E11262F7961.jpeg

Trim tabs are attached to the trailing edges of most control surfaces ( ailerons, elevators and rudder ) in order to relieve pressure on the controls, and allow the aircraft to be "trimmed" for straight and level flight, without the pilot having to maintain pressure on the control column and / or rudder(s) to do so.
Most trim tabs are adjustable from the cockpit, but some aircraft had "fixed", pre-set on the ground tabs.
It's only a guess on my part, but judging from the apparent size, I'd say this one is possibly from a bomber, such as He-111, Ju-88 or Do-17.
Others here can probably supply more detailed info.

Size can fool you...The trim tab on the elevator of a Stinson L-5 is about 26 inches long, with a 7 inch or so chord....would have to look at the drawings for the actual numbers to be sure. The rudder tabs on the AT-21 are only about 19" long, the aileron tabs are 30" and the elevator tabs are 22" in length, all with 7" or less chords. Tab size is based on control authority and control input force per "g" loading. Big, heavy controls will have large tabs and light controls will have much smaller ones. Lots of design time goes into trim systems.

Size can fool you...The trim tab on the elevator of a Stinson L-5 is about 26 inches long, with a 7 inch or so chord....would have to look at the drawings for the actual numbers to be sure. The rudder tabs on the AT-21 are only about 19" long, the aileron tabs are 30" and the elevator tabs are 22" in length, all with 7" or less chords. Tab size is based on control authority and control input force per "g" loading. Big, heavy controls will have large tabs and light controls will have much smaller ones. Lots of design time goes into trim systems.
Ok, so what your saying is this could (with further detail) could be a tab from a single cockpit plane?

Trim tabs are attached to the trailing edges of most control surfaces ( ailerons, elevators and rudder ) in order to relieve pressure on the controls, and allow the aircraft to be "trimmed" for straight and level flight, without the pilot having to maintain pressure on the control column and / or rudder(s) to do so.
Most trim tabs are adjustable from the cockpit, but some aircraft had "fixed", pre-set on the ground tabs.
It's only a guess on my part, but judging from the apparent size, I'd say this one is possibly from a bomber, such as He-111, Ju-88 or Do-17.
Others here can probably supply more detailed info.

Although I would rule out the Storch since its tabs were LE hinged, its aileron tabs were not "trim tabs" per se, but there to take the weight off the feel of the ailerons and these moved opposite that of the control surface

I recently uncovered this in a garage whilst clearing a property. I'd like to Identify which aircraft this may have come from. It appears to be from a German plane due to the "Nichi anfassen" on the upper left side. I suspect this could be WW2 due to the age and other items in the property. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
View attachment 609593View attachment 609594View attachment 609595View attachment 609596View attachment 609597

I don't think it could be a trim tab,because of the heavy connection rod ; Trims are usually connected in a very different way.
If the chord of the thing is about 180 mm, it could be half of an V1
Buzzbomb elevator .
Best Regards
Luigi

Last edited:
I think this must be your part, 5 ribs as rivets reveal

C244F8D3-A21C-450D-A4BB-9299573AB474.jpeg
A6F7CD45-C3B2-4E1C-9DD8-358D6936E7F4.jpeg
E0A56568-D8A9-4099-85C5-6FF468808CC6.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back