Aircraft piece with serial number (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Emmerich

Airman
Oct 18, 2022
Hello !
We found this metal sheet during an excavation in Austria near Linz.
Would you please help me to identify to which Typ of US Aircraft it would belong.
Unluckily there is is only one number on this sheet.

Thank you !!

Attachments

• IMG_20221018_125353.jpg
    IMG_20221018_125353.jpg
    773.8 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20221018_125404.jpg
    IMG_20221018_125404.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 85
  • Blech.jpg
    Blech.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 85
The last one looks like the manufacturer of the aluminum sheets used along with the thickness of it. I know it (ALCLAD 24S-T) was used on B-24s but I'm sure it was used on a lot of other aircraft as well.

I'm not recognizing anything from the first series of shots.

Thank's for your replies!
Austria was "visited" by the Fifteenth Airforce located on 3 Airfields in Italy . They only had B-17 and B-24 in use to my knownledge. Don't think a B-26 could take such long distances.

Thank's for your replies!
Austria was "visited" by the Fifteenth Airforce located on 3 Airfields in Italy . They only had B-17 and B-24 in use to my knownledge. Don't think a B-26 could take such long distances.
The numbers on the structure seem to be part numbers but don't match the A/B-26 from what I've seen. Douglas did manufacture B-17s so there might be a clue. Sometimes manufacturers created in-house "synthetic" part numbers for their own internal systems, so this may be the reason for those numbers.

But what about the big black Numbers L5 7513 22 and 766 22 3 on the sheet??
Serial numbers of the Manufacturer or useless for identification ??

But what about the big black Numbers L5 7513 22 and 766 22 3 on the sheet??
Serial numbers of the Manufacturer or useless for identification ??
I don't think they are serial numbers but rather part numbers assigned to the specific sub assembly. Although I'm pretty sure the stamp is from Douglas, these number are throwing off the search a bit. Again, sometimes subcontracted manufactures may assign their own part numbers to assemblies.

As memo serves the L5 7513 22 is the aluminium alloy specification. IMHO the 766 22 3 is the same but different alloy.
I've seen "LS" #### used as a material code (Lockheed) but can't find any other material codes matching these number. Unless we're looking at a major sub-assembly, I don't recall smaller structural sub assemblies being assigned serial numbers. A bit baffling!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back