Aircraft wheels

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Robinsky

Recruit
Jun 29, 2013
Hi I have just acquired a pare of aircraft wheels
From a farmer who told me they are from a Spitfire.
Could anyone tell me if this is correct ?
Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    774.7 KB · Views: 149
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    853.8 KB · Views: 133
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    784.3 KB · Views: 128
Those are not Spitfire wheels.
I can't tell you what they are as I'm not at home with my books.
Steve

Hi, Thank you for your input. That is a bit disappointing but
If you could ID them I would be very grateful.

With Steve sorry - definitely not Spitfire wheels.

They look more like wheels from a training plane (if military) or small civilian type. Would say they are '30s/'40s though in any case.
Tyre tread seems to indicate an aircraft operated from grass runways, or often wet concrete runways, and something taking weight.

Last edited:
Tyre tread seems to indicate an aircraft operated from grass runways.

I don't think so. Such tyres would normally be smooth as seen on Spitfires and Hurricanes etc operating from grass fields, though there is no rule.

FA_18357s_zpscad8108e.gif

The tread had a tendency to pick up debris and hurl it at delicate areas like flaps and radiators.

A guy in Dublin was selling this rough pair of wheels a while back. They do look like genuine "5 spokers" from a Spitfire, but are in a terrible state and I can't see the relevant stamps in this picture.

View2-20179214_zps7f0c3a50.gif

If there are any markings on the tyres or anything stamped on the wheels themselves that would be helpful, along with some sizes.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited:
Rim diameter and width might gibe a clue. The tyres appear to be oversize items, such as might be used on a quad bile or farm trailer, probably used by the farmer on such a unit, although they might have originally been aero tyres. The wheels look like they might be from a civilian airliner-type, from the 1950s, and the Airspeed Ambassador comes to mind, but again, it depends on the overall diameter and diameter of the wheel hubs, plus the diameter of the axle sleeves.

Thank you for your help. I have taken your advice and here are the dimensions of the wheel. The hub is 10.5 inches across and the wheel including the tier is 24 inches across. On the hub is stamped C524 on the tire is 11•00-9 below this is ELECTRICAL CONDUCTION , RAYON is also on the tier and there is a circle with M I and T inside it the inner tube valve says made in England.

I lived on a peach ranch. We used flatbed trailers for the old peach lug boxes and they had plane tires on them, smooth surfaced. Looked much like them Spitty tyres, cept in California, they may have been old Stearman tires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back