Airfix 1/24 mozzie

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I agree, it's big (the kit I mean!), it looks great, it's a lot of plastic. BUT, the delays, and the unethical 60% price rise BEFORE release are not at all welcome. As already mentioned, Revell have released a kt just about as complex, perhaps more so, almost as big, and at less than a third of the price, in the 1/32nd scale JU88 - so why the massive price increase to an extremely high reatil price? Nope, as much as I'd love one, principals forbid me to even consider it!

Hi guy's

heres what Relish models say about the new 1/24 Airfix mozzie

Referred to as "the kit that Airfix could never produce" the de Havilland Mosquito has just been a dream for many modellers. Airfix are now able to produce this iconic aircraft in its full glory in 1:24 scale.

The History: The Mosquito was unique in being an all-wood construction of balsa-plywood sandwich principle introduced by de Havilland prior to the Second World War. The use of wood in the Mosquito avoided imposing additional strain upon metal supplies and utilised a skilled workforce made available by the restricted activities of the woodworking trades. The Mosquito is a twin-engined, mid-wing, cantilever monoplane powered by two Rolls Royce Merlin XX series engines of 1,260 H.P. each and was the world's fastest production aircraft when it entered service in September 1941.

Versatility was the hallmark of the famous de Havilland Mosquito. Whether it was low level attacks on enemy shipping in Norwegian Fjords, photographing targets deep in Europe or conducting pinpoint bombing on selected industrial targets, the de Havilland Mosquito had few equals. The F.B.VI appeared in mid-1943 and established itself as the premier twin-engine attack fighter-bomber of the War. Several notable raids were made by Mosquito intruder aircraft, including the attack on Amiens Gaol in February 1944 and on the Gestapo headquarters in Copenhagen in March 1945. As well as flying intruder operations over Europe the F.B.VI was fitted with rocket projectiles beneath the wings and operated effectively with RAF Coastal Command as an anti-shipping aircraft. In addition to under-wing weapons, Mosquitoes were armed with four 20 mm cannons and four 0.303in machine guns in the nose. In the internal fuselage bay, two 500 lb bombs could be carried.

This fantastic 1:24 scale model enables this iconic aircraft to be built showing all the exacting detail you could ever want.

There will be two kit variations, the NF.II the Fighter Bomber FB Mk.VI.

The kit will also have five decal variations:

Mosquito FB Mk.VI:

* No. 418 Sqn, "City of Edmonton", RCAF.
* No 143 Sqn, Baniff Strike Wing.
* No 1 Sqn, RAAF, 1945

Mosquito NF.II:

* No 23 Sqn, Luqa, Malta, 1943.
* No 23 Sqn, Ford, 1943.

This kit is due to be released in December. It will be available to pre-order shortly.

I don't get why Airfix didn't put their minds on to do a Halifax and/or a Stirling in 1/48, better price and they'd probably sell like....I don't know, rather fast anyhoo. :lol:

Funny, I seem to remember reading that same 'blurb' on the Airfix web-site, over a year ago, when I placed my 'pre-order' with the LHS.
All ribbing aside, from what I've seen of test shots and CGI stuff on the Airfix web-site, it does look extremely good. Of course, how it goes together could be another thing. The scale lends itself to a superb model, although personally, I wouldn't have everything 'opened up' to show the detail parts, except the entrance hatch and maybe the bomb doors, as I believe it would spoil the effect, by breaking up the shape - unless it was in a diorama of course. But that's just me.
It will be an ideal model for a museum display, but perhaps a bit big for the average collection, or even as a 'one off', in the average household. I think perhaps a pair of 1/32nd scale kits might have been better, based on their 1/48th FBVI and B/PR XVI examples. The biggest thing for many people though, me especially, is the delay; over 18 months late, and, more importantly, the massive price increase from the originally announced price.
Although £130 is a lot of money for a single , non flying, static kit, I do understand the costs involved, and it could be argued that it's worth the cost, due to complexity, size, etc. However, for me, that argument doesn't stand up, as Revell have produced possibly the best 1/32nd scale kit so far (until Tamiya's Spit is released, at £100 !!) in the JU88, which, in diimensions, complexity of mouldings etc, is not that much different to the physical mass of the 1/24th scale Mosquito. The thing is, the Revell kit is avilable for about a quarter of the price of the yet to be seen Mossie, and as we all know, it's accurate and superbly detailed, even straight out of the box, and was designed, produced and on the shelves whilst Airfix's out-sourced prodution people were still scratching their a*ses! Now that's strange, as there are around 25 Mosquitos (or more) available for inspection worldwide, and many plan drawings, whereas there are only two or three complete JU88's, all in Europe, AFAIK, from which to take measurements and check details. So, with all the delays, and a published breakdown of the kit suggesting it's ready to go, does this mean that the price increase, and the extended delays, are something to do with arguing....sorry, discussing, profit margins perhaps?
I really do hope the Mossie kit arrives, sells, and is successful to the point that it reafirms Airfix as a top runner in the model kit market - but I also hope that Revell might release a 1/32nd scale Mossie or two!
Having cancelled my order on principle, I doubt I'll buy the Airfix kit in the future, but I could be tempted eventually, although it's doubtful.

Agree Terry! Should have done it in 1/32

Revell proved and showed Airfix the way to do things with as you say too , a much rarer bird

(heres hoping they decide to do an FB.VI)

I don't get why Airfix didn't put their minds on to do a Halifax and/or a Stirling in 1/48, better price and they'd probably sell like....I don't know, rather fast anyhoo. :lol:

Haven't you heard old boy? Airfx are idiots!!!! what "minds" would you be talking about? the stupid ones?

Well its fanally here the kit they said airfix could not do .well they have and WoW what a kit .I picked mine up today its a big beast and the quality of the moldings is superb very crisp the instruction booklet is the size of the sunday mail newspaper .The two merlin engines are some of the best i have seen in kit form this kit is certainly worth the money as the work that has gone into designing this kit is staggering .this one will not be a quick build i think i will be on this for some months now where the hell am i going to put the thing when its built answers on a post card to.....BB

Will do i won,t be starting it just yet as i have a lightning to finish and a paint job for the local church to do (painting a figure not the church) HeHe i will also have to download irfan again as our computer had a brain fart and died.BB

Look forward to seeing your build BB. No doubt about it, it's a great kit, but I'm still narked on principal with Airfix !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back