Airfix 1/48 DHC-1 Chipmunk

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

OK so I know the Chippy isn't a WW2 aircraft, but it's often been referred to as "the poor man's Spitfire", so here it is. I've painted this one in civil registration for an aircraft in Malaysia in the early 1970s that my dad used to fly, and have been racing to complete it before Christmas as a present for him (he's 92 years old).
My dad and Mr T Rix broke the Malaysian single engine altitude record in this aircraft on the 18 June 1972, reaching a height of 15,200 feet. The Chippy was owned by the Royal Selangor Flying Club's CFI, Mr S "Ted" Baillie-Reynolds, who my 10 year old self remembers as a real larger than life character, more Biggles than Biggles.

05-web.jpg
07-web.jpg

I used Experts-Choice decal film sheet to ink-jet print the 9M-ANA registration, with less success than I'd hoped for. It was probably operator error, and I may not have selected the appropriate paper medium for the print. Instead of a solid grey, the underlying yellow shows through quite a lot. Ideally I would have created stencils and painted the reg the same silver-grey as elsewhere, but I was both in a hurry as well as being a bit technically challenged with the old Cameo Silhouette that we had lying around, and never quite got my act together on that one…

The kit itself I had long been anticipating, and was sort-of happy with it. The main annoyance for me was the multi-pieced canopy, which was fiddly and came out less than perfectly. I can see why Airfix had to make it like that to replicate the slightly "blown" rear panels at the back, but it's a complete bastard to align, even with the funky little jig they provide. More competent modelers will no doubt do better than I did. The other less than satisfactory bit of the kit is the trailing edges of the wings: way too thick. I tried to slim them down, but at the expense of some wing detail.

Pics of the finished model, and some real-life ones from the 1970's. Hope my old man likes it! Cheers…

20211216-0693.jpg

20211216-0695.jpg 20211216-0697.jpg 20211216-0698.jpg 20211216-0701.jpg 20211216-0702.jpg20211216-0703.jpg 20211216-0706.jpg 20211216-0708.jpg

Last edited:
Nicely done indeed, and I agree with Geo re the decals - it's not your fault, as it's due to the density of the printer ink, on a clear base.
I got this kit a couple of weeks ago, to add to my "RAF trainers" collection, and I'll probably get another to finish as the one I used to get to fly now and then, back in the 1980's and early 1990's.
I noticed the complexity of the canopy assembly, and thanks for the warning re the trailing edges.

Nicely done indeed, and I agree with Geo re the decals - it's not your fault, as it's due to the density of the printer ink, on a clear base.
I got this kit a couple of weeks ago, to add to my "RAF trainers" collection, and I'll probably get another to finish as the one I used to get to fly now and then, back in the 1980's and early 1990's.
I noticed the complexity of the canopy assembly, and thanks for the warning re the trailing edges.
And another thing...
You may notice my wings "droop" a little bit and stuff up the wing dihedral... (the sort of droop that would look more at home on a B787 than a Chipmunk). I learnt elsewhere that its due to the locating pins. Cut the pins off and you should end up with a nice straight wing. I didn't notice until too late and had well and truly committed to glue! Also, if I'd thinned the trailing edge of the flaps from inside the wing instead of after gluing together, I may have got a better result.

Thanks for the warning, much appreciated.
I also noticed that the undercarriage leg bolts, that protrude through the wing upper surface, are not portrayed. A minor point, and easily sorted, but slightly strange, considering Airfix went to the trouble of providing two sets of oleos, compressed for on the ground, and extended, for airborne.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back