Airfix 1/48 F-51D Mustang

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

talbot

Senior Airman
434
289
Joined
Apr 14, 2025
Location
Calgary, AB
Airfix A05136 1:48 F-51D Mustang

Will be doing an out of the box build in the US livery - FF-625 Rotation Blues of 67th FBS in Korea
My 3rd airfix build, and 2nd of this same kit
I do like the plastic and the fit of the kit is good, only issue I've had is aligning the dorsal fin / stabilizer with the spine of the fuselage - it's tilted slightly to the port side
Scanning through builds on Scalemates, seems it's not just myself

Will be using Mr Color primer (gloss black) and lacquers for the cockpit and I have Vallejo Metal Colors I want to use up on the exterior

1121428-15655-29-pristine.jpg


79556_10.jpg


cockpit mostly done, need a little more fixes and touch ups on the battery and radio, wear and weathering
IMG_2820.JPEG


IMG_2821.JPEG
 
thank Andy, be interesting what you encountered and I'll post a few examples I've found later this morn
 
here is the current build can see it's slightly off centre, I'm not going to fuss with it too much
IMG_2828-2.JPEG


so check my previous build, very similar (zoomed in)
Screenshot_2026-08-23_11-41-27.png


still could very much be me, but found a couple on scalemates with similar results
801450-31349-12-pristine.jpg

Screenshot_2026-08-23_11-44-01.png
 
Last edited:
Hi Steve. Found my build here: **** DONE: GB-57 1/48 P-51K / Mk.IV Mustang - WW2 Foreign Service

The off centered fin that you pointed out is intentional. The Mustang had a designed-in 1 degree offset to counteract engine torque similar to the Corsair.

A quick glance through my build shows a number of issues I had. The warped tail area was one. Also very tight fitting of fuselage to wing. I chose to fill the panel lines in the wing that were puttied at the factory, something I've had to do with every Mustang kit I've tackled.
 
Last edited:
a little progress over the past several days:
- create and cut canopy and wheel masks
- putty some of the seams
- apply the canopy masks
- primer base coat

dont know about you guys but I really love the mr surfacer primers, spray nicely and lay down really well

up next plan to do more finer sanding in a few spots then a final layer of primer

Screenshot_2026-08-31_19-43-31.png

IMG_2833.JPEG

IMG_2834.JPEG

IMG_0002.JPEG

IMG_0004.JPEG
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back