Airplane ID from recovered propeller

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

jerome

Recruit
Aug 27, 2004
Dear all,

Could you please help me identify the plane most likely equipped with the remains of this propeller found underwater in Fecamps ?
Thank you in advance

Jerome

H1.jpg
H2.jpg
H3.jpg
H4.jpg
H5.jpg
H6.jpg
H7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear all,

Could you please help me identify the plane most likely equipped with the remains of this propeller found underwater in Fecamps ?
Thank you in advance

Jerome

View attachment 485386 View attachment 485387 View attachment 485388 View attachment 485389 View attachment 485390 View attachment 485391 View attachment 485392
The propeller has provisions for a spinner; you can see the extensions for the two center barrel bolts, image attached of an actual bolt removed from a Lancaster, Canadian Built. From what I have seen and worked on, it could be a Lancaster or similar type aircraft. The propeller is a full feathering; you can see the faired knee cams from the front picture; so it is from a multi-engine aircraft. I do not know enough about the reduction gear on the back of the propeller shaft to tell what engine it could be from.
Barrel Bolt Extension.jpg

As always, any part numbers made visible by careful cleaning would help to positively identify such parts.

The reduction gear and shaft MIGHT be from a Merlin 29 as the bolt count on the gear matches what you have but I caution you that this is just one of many potential possibilities.

Capture.JPG

If you can scrub down the gear and find number 604268 stamped on it then we could link the engine to a Merlin.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back