Alan Grimmer

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Alan Grimmer

Recruit
Oct 16, 2006
I am an r/c modeller and flyer and am looking for help in finding documentation on a Royal Navy 718 squadron Corsair.Franklin mint produce a 1/48 scale diecast model (squadron code QBH) which I wish to replicate.It is brown in the top view and grey and white underneath.I believe franklin mint would only produce authentic models,but need documentary proof that this plane existed.

Any information would be appreciated.

This one? Interesting. I can't vouch for the camo scheme, never have seen that before. Certainly the colors appear off to me.

Attachments

• 718 Squadron Corsair.jpg
    718 Squadron Corsair.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 79
Nothing in my library indicating similar color scheme. Here is closest that I could find and nothing that I saw to indicate this was typical.

Attachments

• Corsair_Brewster_MkIII_JT96_wartimecolour.jpg
    Corsair_Brewster_MkIII_JT96_wartimecolour.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 90
Thank you Matt 308,your pictures are of the franklin mint diecast model which I'm working off.I too have never seen them before,but I'm hoping to find proof that this camo existed.Maybe I'll have to contact franklin mint themselves.
I really like this colour scheme,mostly only blue models are seen.
Regards,Alan.

The square wing tips may be the result of the British cutting the lenght of the Corsair so that they could fold the wings in their carrier hanger (which is not as tall as American carriers).

I had thought of that too. But since the Corsair was not deemed the ideal carrier aircraft, did the Royal Navy use them as land based planes like the US? The camo scheme would suggest so. And any information on how the squared tips affected performance? Better low level maneuverability perhaps?

Anybody?

I would imagine the roll rate would be better. The Brits clipped (cropped, and clapped) the wings on the Spitfire V so that they could roll with the new FW-190s. I would also think that the ceiling of the plane might be a little less.

I think I have seen some pictures posted here of an Aussie or NZ Corsair that was based either at Munda (New Georgia) or Bougainville.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back