Alclad II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Maglar

Tech Sergeant
Jan 29, 2009
Florida
Hey guys, [JUST SAW LUCKYS POST]

I just ordered me some Alclad II and a 1/48 B-17 to try it on! I bought Aluminum, Duralum, and dark alum, and the glossy black base coat. I have never used alclad but I know of its unbelievable powers regarding natural metal finishes. Basically asking for some tips, ive already visited their site and got the 'universal' rules, but do any of you have personal tips in your experience with it? :D

There's been some very recent discussion on this subject here in the modelling section. The concensus seems to be that it's excellent stuff, but takes a bit of work to get right and, if you don't get it right, you get it wrong big time!!
I was going to try it some time ago (couple of years at least), but I was put off by all the preparation, the application and the price - so I've stuck to my own method, described elsewhere in these 'pages'.
Must say, you've chosen a heck of a big kit to experiment on!

I will review the necessary steps to get it right, I also read that article in Luckys thread, good stuff. I really liked the brick analogy because its true, my only downside is it being lacquer and my well being of health haha, will have to spray outside. Atleast using vallejo metalizer it doesnt have a smell or airborne toxin so its safe to spray anywhere. Regarding the model, GO BIG OR GO HOME!

He He! Join the club! Got a nice natural metal 1/48th scale B17 taking up a whole shelf, next to the 12 or so 1/32nd scale fighter-sized aircraft!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back