Alcohol cleaner....or whatyacallit ?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
What would be a good alcohol cleaner to get here in the UK?
As one is tooling around with some dusty shelf queens, with them being rather dusty and what not, I thought that I'd invest something good to give them a good clean before continuing and painting, preferably also be available online as well, ebay, amazon, etc., etc....

I use regular isopropyl alcohol. I have found that it does a good job of removing the mold release compounds and surface oils and such from handling, but you have to be careful not to weaken glue joints if the parts are already joined and not fully set. It also works very well to 'dry' out a thin surface layer of plastic parts by removing some of the solvents in the plastic. I even had pretty good luck with paints adhering to flexible plastic, like that used in the old Airfix toy soldiers sets. I submerged the figures in the alcohol for a day or so, removed them from the alcohol and flood washed them in cold water, and then let them air dry.

A solution of Dawn dish washing detergent and water with a soft brush is your best bet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back