"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Seems like China is paving the way to ditch Putin.

Very interesting and obviously it has to have some kind of oficial support to be published.
Thank you for posting that, it was very thought provoking and informative.

"Once Putin falls, the U.S. will no longer face two strategic competitors but only have to lock China in strategic containment."

If I was China I would publicly denounce the invasion, announce a severing of China-Russia relations, join the sanctions and begin shipments of weapons to Ukraine, including the H-12 MANPATS. That'll shock the hell out of the US.

I personally think Putin is very safe and secure in his position.

The ones who could oppose him will probably be on the next pimpmobile outta there. Or risk the gulags.

Putin is top of the tree and sitting pretty and then decides to chop the tree down. Why would you do that?

Burning down his own house. This is what annoys me. I cannot get my brain around it and that what annoys me. I cannot imagine any scenario where Russia is better off.

Maybe he is doing the Batman quote and wants to see the world burn. I dunno.

I think the Iranians and especially the Venezuelas are hoping so.

I heard a report on BBC about this. While Maduro is talking up the prospect, the Venezuelans interviewed for the report seem roughly split on whether this is good, or whether it's two "hypocritical" nations (word from an interviewee) making a deal of convenience.

I think it's the latter myself, but to be fair, that's lots of diplomacy and international relations: working to steer events into course with one's national interests.

The term that came to my mind while reading your post was in the form of a Jeopardy question: "Alex, what is a Pyrrhic victory?'"

I don't think he wants to burn down the world because it doesn't benefit him or his legacy. I don't think he is actually a madman. He severely overestimated his forces abilities and grossly underestimated the Ukrainians. Also, he can't pull out now. This is not a new idea, many on this forum have expressed the same views. I think he also underestimated NATO. He probably thought since Europe was so energy dependent upon Russia that they would fuss and condemn, but not do much else, and if Europe did not really care, he figured the US would not get involved. He was probably egged by XI as well.

I have this nagging feeling though, if the invasion had already ended with a blitzkrieg-like victory that crushed Ukraine's ability to resist, with a puppet-government installed in Kyiv, and China's backing, the world's reaction and actions would be different.

Can't spell Pyrrhic Victory without Victory.

Right, but when victory costs more than defeat, what has been accomplished?

I have no doubt that the Russians can crush the Ukrainian regulars with the application of mass firepower.

The Ukrainians don't have to win. They only have to not lose. Check out Vietnam, Iraq, or Afghanistan to see how a weaker power can send a Great Power packing. Couple that with the current sanctions on Russia and the losses they're suffering currently to see how while they may actually conquer Ukraine, it might be a meal that gives them some terrible indigestion.

Put an insurgency on after this Russian "victory" and let it unspool for a couple of years and we'll see who wins.

Absolutely. It's only been the staunch Ukrainian defense that has galvanized the world into action.

I think all international relations are by some degree deals of convenience. Juan Guaidó has to be feeling like yesterday's news.

One of the attempts to compare verified equipment losses. In Russian.
Titles of the charts, top-down:
  • All military equipment losses, per date. (Blue - RF, Orange - Ukraine).
  • Ratio (RF to Ukraine), tanks.
  • Ratio, other armoured vehicles (BMP, BTR, BMD)
  • Ratio, artillery systems of all types
  • Ratio, military cars and trucks
  • Ratio, fixed-wing aircraft
  • Ratio, helicopters

Only destroyed and captured units are included, only those of which photo or video evidence is available.
Not included: abandoned equipment of all kinds, hand arms, civilian equipment, trailers.

Based on the data collected here:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread