"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (5 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Although it is an evil way to think, people are currently easier for the Russians to replace than their more sophisticated equipment like aircraft, therefore it is better to conserve their air assets until needed and expend people in the fighting as long as possible/necessary. Evil but potentially effective if you have enough people - particularly in a war of attrition.

My Uncle Bruce (USAF), who was stationed in Turkey back in the late 80's, had mentioned some of the Soviet helos and fixed wing that he saw up close were "absolute sh*t" in his words.
I expect the ex-Soviet helos provided to Ukraine by NATO, including eleven Mi-17s from the USA were some of the best maintained and condition on the planet. It would have been interesting to hear from the USAF logisticians and mechanics that had to support and maintain these helicopters on how they compared to US-origin helos.

I would think the MANPADS-heavy AFU would be hunting such attack helos? Where are the Gepards and mobile air defence?

And the piss poor way the Russians are using their helicopters makes them an easy target for Manpads.

It's amazing how they never learn from their previous conflicts, or try to emulate other western powers that have it figured out.

It may be part of a drawing out process. Make the Russians deploy their helicopters and then knock them down, lowering
their defensive capability even further.

I guess that, being of Soviet origin, Ukrainian airplanes face similar issues. With the inconvenient that they cannot order replacement engines or other spares to Russia.
I bet that is the real motivation to switch to western airplanes. Sooner or later Ukraine Migs and Sukhois will be grounded due to lack of spares.

Good point which may mean externally supplied aircraft may tip the scales.

June 16 (Reuters) - Russian troops who have destroyed German-made Leopard tanks and U.S.-supplied armoured vehicles being used by Ukraine will receive bonus payments, the Defence Ministry said on Friday.

The ministry said this was part of a wider reward scheme under which more than 10,000 Russian servicemen had received individual bonuses since the start of the war nearly 16 months ago.

On the basis of reports from Russian field commanders, "payments are currently being made to servicemen of the Russian Federation Armed Forces who in the course of military operations destroyed Leopard tanks, as well as armoured fighting vehicles made in the USA and other NATO countries", the ministry said.

No wonder Putin's numbers are so exaggerated -- he's given his soldiers perfect motivation to overclaim.

One of the great benefits to Western civilization of the (distant?) future decline and end of its reliance on fossil fuels will be returning the Middle East back to its irrelevance.

Ukraine will not forget who its friends and who the Russia-enablers were.

Last edited:
One of the great benefits to Western civilization of the (distant?) future decline and end of its reliance on fossil fuels will be returning the Middle East back to its irrelevance.
According to International Energy Agency`s World Energy Outlook 2022 oil demand will peak somewhere between 2024 (optimistic scenario) and 2035. Have in mind however that this is global data. Most probably western countries demand will peak earlier. Anyway this is just a prediction and it may change in World Energy Outlook 2023.
Notice for instance how the forecast for Russia changed from 2021 to 2022

It's too bad Sweden didn't sell Gripens to Ukraine before the war.

"Plans to launch the licensed production of Swedish-designed Jas‑39 Gripen fighters in Lviv, mulling since 2014, eventually ended in nothing. "

Users who are viewing this thread

• AL90