"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (3 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I think the operators will soon realize the ones without a shadow are the decoys.
Most often, the drones are approaching in a shallow dive, much like a strafing run. At that angle, the operator would be see the target is just a painted image.

The drones are also equipped with infrared cameras and the painted ground will certainly appear different than the actual aircraft.

The painted decoy would definately work for level bombers and dive bombers, in WWII, though.

This may be a deliberate strategy given this not so good news:

Both the shadow and the angle can be painted too.

Still, operators will know they have to hit the ones with tires on top

Not specifically about Ukraine but I thought this was interesting...RNoAF F-35A and RAF Typhoon jets operating from a Finnish road airstrip. Reminds me of the good old days of Harrier TACEVALs hiding the aircraft operations in woods and using local roads for STOVL ops.

True, but the US and NATO would not be fighting under these conditions. If Ukraine were a NATO member, and ejecting Russia from Ukraine was the goal rather than WW3 and a nuclear apocalypse, things would be very different for Russia. First of all, the Kerch bridge would have been irreparably destroyed by submarine and B2 launched TLAMs, JSOWs and JASSMs on day one, with every Russian airbase, rail depot, bridge, army base, naval base and warship getting the same treatment within weeks. F-22s, F-35s F-15E Strike Eagles and Typhoons would have gained air supremacy within the first month, allowing the A-10 Thunderbolts, Apaches and MQ-9 Reapers to their antitank work unmolested. Ukraine is being forced to fight without the benefit of NATO's full toolbox.

Last edited:
Yes, but the west would have absolute air superiority in the first place, and the stalemate and entrenched Russian lines would not have been established.

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread