"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (3 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I post this one not from a political POV but rather to dispel ignorance (or attempt to). It is scary to think that some people are so ignorant as to think the US has provided the equivalent of 40% of their GDP to Ukraine:

View: https://twitter.com/john_a_ridge/status/1708850653336891703?s=66&t=HVAXXZJIMBzelxWw3RruNQ

To provide some more accuracy, it is closer to 0.33% - see here (and the USA isn't even the biggest contributor in terms of % GDP):

View attachment 739759

The misinformation in my country is endemic.

The video from your linked article:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBXiLLBT_Zc&t=78s

Oct 2 (Reuters) - Defence spending will account for almost one third of Russia's total budget expenditure in 2024, the government's draft plans show, as Moscow diverts ever more resources towards prosecuting its war in Ukraine.

Russia also plans to ramp up state borrowing to help fund what it calls a "special military operation" in Ukraine in the coming years and is counting on a recovery in oil and gas revenues to pre-invasion levels to do so.

Spending under the "national defence" section of Russia's budget will total 10.78 trillion roubles ($109 billion) next year, or 29.4% of total planned expenditure of 36.66 trillion roubles, according to the finance ministry's budget documents that outline the government's fiscal plans for 2024-2026.

In 2021, the year before Moscow launched its invasion of Ukraine, defence spending totalled 3.57 trillion roubles, 14.4% of total spending. In 2022, the share of defence spending rose to 17.7%, data on Russia's electronic budget page showed earlier this year.

Spending figures for 2022 were subsequently removed from the online budget portal. The most up-to-date data for 2023 was published as part of the finance ministry's 2024-26 budget plans.

The finance ministry has allocated 6.41 trillion roubles to defence in 2023, or 21.2% of total budget expenditure of 30.27 trillion roubles, but Finance Minister Anton Siluanov last week said total spending would be above plan at around 33.5 trillion roubles.

This one falls into the 'it's so bonkers it has to be true' bracket

I completely agree - hilariously weird. Though the article posits that it might be a 'rare case of humanity in war'. Personally I think it's more likely to be one (or more) of:
1. I didn't notice the caller's accent
2. I noticed it, but didn't care
3. Vodka numbs my hearing
4. I knew damn well who was calling, but my useless officer said I need to respond to ALL support calls. So I did. I will probably get promoted

And any short dated or obsolete kit that was planned for disposal or write-off needs to be deducted, for the purposes of this argument, from the value of US aid.

Last edited:
Oct 2 (Reuters) - Defence spending will account for almost one third of Russia's total budget expenditure in 2024, the government's draft plans show, as Moscow diverts ever more resources towards prosecuting its war in Ukraine.

Russia also plans to ramp up state borrowing to help fund what it calls a "special military operation" in Ukraine in the coming years and is counting on a recovery in oil and gas revenues to pre-invasion levels to do so.

Spending under the "national defence" section of Russia's budget will total 10.78 trillion roubles ($109 billion) next year, or 29.4% of total planned expenditure of 36.66 trillion roubles, according to the finance ministry's budget documents that outline the government's fiscal plans for 2024-2026.

In 2021, the year before Moscow launched its invasion of Ukraine, defence spending totalled 3.57 trillion roubles, 14.4% of total spending. In 2022, the share of defence spending rose to 17.7%, data on Russia's electronic budget page showed earlier this year.

Spending figures for 2022 were subsequently removed from the online budget portal. The most up-to-date data for 2023 was published as part of the finance ministry's 2024-26 budget plans.

The finance ministry has allocated 6.41 trillion roubles to defence in 2023, or 21.2% of total budget expenditure of 30.27 trillion roubles, but Finance Minister Anton Siluanov last week said total spending would be above plan at around 33.5 trillion roubles.

I was trying to put some of this into context and found that the UK spent on average 40% of its budget on defence spending in WW2.

In 1939 the UK was spending a lot of money on defence but that was 9% of the total budget.

If Russia is getting close to 33% of its budget on Defence in 2023/4, the country is effectively on a War footing in everything but name.

I post this one not from a political POV but rather to dispel ignorance (or attempt to). It is scary to think that some people are so ignorant as to think the US has provided the equivalent of 40% of their GDP to Ukraine:

View: https://twitter.com/john_a_ridge/status/1708850653336891703?s=66&t=HVAXXZJIMBzelxWw3RruNQ

To provide some more accuracy, it is closer to 0.33% - see here (and the USA isn't even the biggest contributor in terms of % GDP):

View attachment 739759

I'm not expert in military equipment or tactics but I can follow the economics. The United States is getting extraordinary value from the second tier equipment we're sending Ukraine.
I've heard that fifty percent of the Russian military equipment has been lost. Doesn't sound unreasonable if Shoigu is bringing out T-55s and T-10s.
We're spending a ridiculously low amount to eliminate the military power of our nation's former primary enemy. AT NO LOSS OF THE LIVES OF OUR GUYS.
If only it could be equally cost effective to eliminate the perfidious information war that Putin's puppets are waging.

I completely agree - hilariously weird. Though the article posits that it might be a 'rare case of humanity in war'. Personally I think it's more likely to be one (or more) of:
1. I didn't notice the caller's accent
2. I noticed it, but didn't care
3. Vodka numbs my hearing
4. I knew damn well who was calling, but my useless officer said I need to respond to ALL support calls. So I did. I will probably get promoted
I can't remember where I heard/read/saw this but while a Russian airbase was being attacked, a person called the emergency services line of the town the base was located in. The caller wanted find out where the attack was happening. The operator responded with the location. The caller then thanked the operator. He said he was correcting fire and said "Slava Ukraine".
I heard the recording of the call.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back