"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (7 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Is going through the minefields the only reasonable way forward? How can Ukraine pull that off? Most, if not all mine clearing and other engineering vehicles are slow moving and need air superiority to order to operate without getting destroyed. So, that means Ukraine must wait until its air force is significantly updated, likely by autumn 2024.

Does this premise hold true, though? My understanding is that the overwhelming majority of Russian anti-armor platforms are drones, with helicopters in second. The assumption that the Ukrainians can only achieve air superiority by advanced fighter jets, therefore, seems to me to be questionable.

What other options are there? Can you go over or around the minefields?

Plentiful SAMs mounted close behind the engineering forces that are doing the mine-clearance, maybe? More armored demining vehicles, definitely. More active bombing of Russian grounds forces using both attack and spotting drones, and bombers flying nap-of-earth missions guided in by the latter.

I'd like to discuss how Ukraine's offensive to Melitopol and how the AFU can overcome the land mines and fortifications between their current salient and Tokmak.

Is going through the minefields the only reasonable way forward? How can Ukraine pull that off? Most, if not all mine clearing and other engineering vehicles are slow moving and need air superiority to order to operate without getting destroyed. So, that means Ukraine must wait until its air force is significantly updated, likely by autumn 2024.

Ukraine has recently used cluster munitions in conjunction with artillery, mortar fire and occasional air support, in a set perimeter in order to protect mine clearing equipment and it seems to work well.

I'd like to discuss how Ukraine's offensive to Melitopol and how the AFU can overcome the land mines and fortifications between their current salient and Tokmak.

Mines are old school, so what have been done to clear them? Flegel tanks an other funnies did good. But air support. Drone tractors? They have a lot 4x4 trucks also droned? Aim, brick on the gas.
Deep plough machines.

Innovative for sure. I like the Syrians and their Napoleonic smooth bore.

1479927808-thlyptc-imgur.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back