"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (7 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Plus the NATO allies
I don't think (and I could be wrong....) that the NATO charter would require NATO members to automatically become participants is the defence of AK, due to its location (i.e., outside the North Atlantic theatre). This was the reason that NATO was not required to assist the UK in the Falklands war. That said, I might be wrong :)

I don't think (and I could be wrong....) that the NATO charter would require NATO members to automatically become participants is the defence of AK, due to its location (i.e., outside the North Atlantic theatre). This was the reason that NATO was not required to assist the UK in the Falklands war. That said, I might be wrong :)

I think America invoked Article 5 after 9/11.

I think America invoked Article 5 after 9/11.
I was thinking that attacks that did not occur in geographical proximity to the general North Atlantic area would NOT trigger Article 5 .... but I was wrong....
'Article 6
For the purpose of Article 5, an armed attack on one or more of the Parties is deemed to include an armed attack:

• on the territory of any of the Parties in Europe or North America, on the Algerian Departments of France 2, on the territory of Turkey or on the Islands under the jurisdiction of any of the Parties in the North Atlantic area north of the Tropic of Cancer;
  • on the forces, vessels, or aircraft of any of the Parties, when in or over these territories or any other area in Europe in which occupation forces of any of the Parties were stationed on the date when the Treaty entered into force or the Mediterranean Sea or the North Atlantic area north of the Tropic of Cancer.'

For the purpose of Article 5, an armed attack on one or more of the Parties is deemed to include an armed attack:

• on the territory of any of the Parties in Europe or North America, on the Algerian Departments of France 2, on the territory of Turkey or on the Islands under the jurisdiction of any of the Parties in the North Atlantic area north of the Tropic of Cancer;
  • on the forces, vessels, or aircraft of any of the Parties, when in or over these territories or any other area in Europe in which occupation forces of any of the Parties were stationed on the date when the Treaty entered into force or the Mediterranean Sea or the North Atlantic area north of the Tropic of Cancer.'

That seems to cover Alaska, right.

Hawaii is not protected by NATO because it is in the Pacific but I believe Alaska is included because it is in the contiguous US.

That said if Alaska is gifted back to the Russians as compensation for the Ukrainian war then NATO will definitely not protect it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back