"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (6 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

That says what a lot of people don't want to hear.

I admit it. I got a bit tearful when I saw those two heroes interact.

View: https://youtu.be/1HGAZCa_0fU
I don't know much about the Mirage, other than it being a beautiful plane. I have no idea how similar the F-16s the various nations gave to Ukraine are to each other, let alone how they would compare (compliment?) with the Mirage-2000-5. This caught my eye. I subscribe to this channel as he covers areas of SE Asia that seem overlooked.

Last edited:
The F-16s being sent are F-16AM/BM Block 15 MLU variants which have, as their name implies, been through the mid life upgrade which included upgrades to the cockpit and avionics, including new radar, IFF and mission computer. Basically to brings it to the equivalent of that on the F-16C/D Block 50/52. It also added the ability to employ radar-guided air-to-air missiles such as AIM-120 AMRAAM and generally enhanced the operational performance and improved the reliability, supportability and maintainability of the aircraft.

The Mirage 2000s being offered are supposedly the 2000-5 variant which is a major upgrade on the Mirage 2000C including far better cockpit, new Thomson-CSF RDY radar capable of air-to-ground, air-to-air, and air-to-sea operations and allows the aircraft to use the MICA missile, up to six of which can be fired simultaneously at targets. It also has a very advanced countermeasures suite.

Generally I believe both the F-16s and Mirage 2000s will offer very similar levels of capability and will compliment each other. Probably the greatest difference would be that the Mirages have far greater range/endurance than the F-16s. Other than that both will be matched very closely and it would probably come down to pilot abilities to differentiate them.

I understand France has 37 of the 2000-5 variant and I assume/hope all will be provided. What is also interesting is that Greece is also talking about selling their Mirages including 25 2000-5s. If these could be provided to Ukraine that would boost the numbers to 62 which would go nicely alongside the 85 F-16s offered already.

I agree with almost everything that you say. The only part where I slightly differ, is the last short sentence 'And they are all working together'.

I know its a slightly different take but I would suggest 'They are all taking advantage of each other' By this I mean for example. China was pretty stand offish, until Russia saw an opportunity when Ukraine were going to be short of ammunition and equipment. Then Russia threw everything they had at Ukraine and China saw the Russia had a chance of making significant advances. Only then did China give Russia almost they wanted, but its costing Russia in low oil prices and a certain amount of control on what they can do on the field of battle. China needs the West for its economy which isn't doing well at the moment and would not respond well if Russia was to do something stupid against a western NATO country. Its worth noting that some Chinese Banks under the threat of sanctions are stopping any transactions with Russia. If the Chinese Government were confident enough, I am sure they could lean on the Chinese Banks to resume transactions with Russia, but they haven't.
Korea suddenly were needed by Russia (and how they must have enjoyed that) and is supplying ammunition in vast quantities, but its costing Russia a pretty penny in reduced oil and technical help with the Korean Missile programme. No one, even Russia and China really wants a capable N Korean nuclear missile programme. I think I am right in saying that the last time the N Korean saw any serious combat, it was against China and they did pretty well.
India is taking advantage of the low oil costs, but is also trying to turn away from Russian weapons. Pakistan is close to China and has Chinese aircraft in its Air Force and these are at least as good and most of the Russian aircaft in the Indian airforce.

All the Nations you list and no doubt others, are waiting for the USA elections. God only knows what might happen but the only thing I am sure of is that whoever wins, those countries will be waiting to make the most of it.

Agreed - I believe co-operation is opportunistic, as Glider points out. That said, that doesn't make it any less dangerous

Users who are viewing this thread