"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

2123650291.jpg

"The conditions are very simple," Putin said, demanding the full withdrawal of Ukrainian troops from all of the Donetsk, Luhansk, Kherson, and Zaporizhzhia oblasts in eastern and southern Ukraine.

What country invaded by an aggressor would ever agree to such terms? Peace in our time, indeed. More like give me time to regroup.

How about instead Russia adhere to the 2003 Treaty on the Russian-Ukrainian border?

Last edited:
But there's a disconnect with the perception of US resolve. "Fuck with us directly and you're toast." But, "Fuck with our friends outside of NATO, well, let me read the domestic tea leaves, placate my domestic opponents, and we'll get back to you... and any commitments we make are to be considered as subject to change."

Yeah, so I was speaking in terms of SAC, which during its existence was known as the surliest and most aggressive major command in the USAF.

The armchair experts have been saying Putin is done for almost two years
Rubbish. I know this will trigger our resident contrarians, but Russia's economy is growing, its total Ukraine losses are less than a bad month of WW2, and Russia continues to hold and gain territory.

Until the Russian people, elites or military rise up and throw out Putin in a Ceaușescu-like rebellion, the man is not done. And then the worry is what replaces Putin. Czar Nicolas II and the Romanov dynasty was terrible for Russia and its people, but were Lenin and Stalin any better? Perhaps the praetorians or revolutionary committee that replaces Putin decides to double down on Ukraine.

Last edited:
Russian leaders are delusional and almost seem to believe the bullsh!t that falls out of their face...

But there's a disconnect with the perception of US resolve. "Fuck with us directly and you're toast." But, "Fuck with our friends outside of NATO, well, let me read the domestic tea leaves, placate my domestic opponents, and we'll get back to you... and any commitments we make are to be considered as subject to change."

To the outside world, the role of President of any country is all powerful, for example we don't hear about Macron kowtowing to domestic reps as France provides aid to Ukraine. But actually, the Prime Minister of any Westminster "democracy", such as UK, Australia and Canada has more absolute power than a US President, especially if they hold a majority in Parliament.

Imagine if the US material support (ATACMS, etc.) and agreement on Ukraine striking Russian territory of June 2024 had been offered in June 2022, or 2023.
If I remember how parliamentary democracies work, the prime minister is chosen by the majority party. If there's no majority, the PM has to cobble together a majority with the assistance of other parties. For example, this is the position that Netanyahu is in: while his party is the largest party in the Knesset, it's not the majority party, so he needs to get support from minor parties[1]. IIRC, there wouldn't be a government shutdown with a parliamentary system: if the PM can't get something like the budget passed, parliament is dissolved and there's an election called.

One advantage of the parliamentary system that I see is that the PM is not going to be some parvenu who "hates politics."

================

[1] I'm actually not sure if Netanyahu's party is the largest in the Knesset, but I think it probably is. The main thing I know about Israeli politics is that there are numerous political parties and that Israel has a vocal, diverse, and frequently very critical press.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back