"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

My thought too. No flares, using only darkness and low altitude for defense. What concerned me. was the near misses/early detonations just behind the tails. Was that a problem with the missile or was there some sort of defense used to cause the early explosion? It appears a rapid second shot defeated any such defensive deployment

If my faulty memory is correct, I remember the Mujahadeen in Afganistan firing on the Hind D with the captured 14.5mm trying to hit the cockpit windows. They knew the round would not penetrate, but the pilot/crew would not stay and fight with the hits appearing on the other side of the glass.

I don't think Putin's original goal was to take just the Donbas region. He went in to "reclaim" Ukraine. He used a lot of resources to take Kyiv and that whole area. He was going for the whole enchilada complete with dress uniforms for the victory parade in Kyiv after installing an acceptable government. This new spin that the Donbas region was what he was after all along (that includes the land bridge to occupied Crimea) smacks of Pee Wee Herman saying "I meant to do that."

Last edited:

I've just seen your video. Do you perhaps know time and/or location of the clash?

If this is true, Putin's even dumber than he appears at this point. The concentration of mass upon an objective is military doctrine for a reason, in that it 1) accomplishes a mission faster and with fewer casualties, and 2) protects one's forces from defeat in detail, which we've seen the Ukrainians having some success with.

Devoting so many forces to what this article is positing as a feint makes no sense when those same forces could have remained in the east and launched an offensive with added punch, from the northeast of Ukraine, on a southerly axis, with the aim of rolling up the Ukrainian eastern front in the Donbas.

Last edited:
You may be right, but the Ukrainians thus far are showing less ability to retake any territory in the south and east. The Russians will be digging in.

You may be right, but the Ukrainians thus far are showing less ability to retake any territory in the south and east. The Russians will be digging in.

Sure. As you pointed out, the Ukrainians need offensive potential; they've shown themselves very capable on the defense even on a shoestring. I think the tank-reinforcement being discussed is important, and I hope the suggestion upthread that the Polish Migs disappearing off the media radar is indeed a matter of them being crated and tractored in. Both those additions would help give the Ukrainians offensive potentials they sorely need. Artillery as well is important for a balanced attack.

And when American journalists say "tank" they can mean any and all armored fighting vehicles. The German BMP-1's, some T-72's or 2S1 Gvozdika's are all the same to them. If they can get all three from outside sources, so much the better.

And when American journalists say "tank" they can mean any and all armored fighting vehicles.
As long as the tracked AFVs, like these Ukrainians below can tow artillery, they'll do.

The U.S. will help allies move Soviet-made tanks to Ukraine in an effort to assist the country in protecting its Donbas region amid the Russian invasion, The New York Times reported Friday.

A U.S. official, who spoke to the outlet on the condition of anonymity, did not give provide a timeline on the tanks' transfer, but noted that the movement will happen soon. The official also did not provide details on which countries the U.S. was assisting to move the military vehicles.

The transfer marks the first time in the conflict that the U.S. has assisted in directly moving tanks and comes in direct response to a request from Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky. Zelensky has asked the West to transfer weapons for weeks, the source told the Times.

And yes, the media here portray all tracked vehicles as tanks, generally, but given that this a Pentagon spokesman, I suspect they actually mean tanks.

As long as the tracked AFVs can tow artillery they'll do.

View attachment 663458
True, but SPG's like the 600+ 2S1's that Ukraine already fields are much better for the modern battlefield than any towed artillery that is nothing but counterbattery bait. We haven't been hearing much about Ukrainian artillery in general. But also hear little about the fighting in the separatist regions so I'm hoping they're there and pounding the Russian forces in shoot and scoot mode with their 22 kg OF-462Zh HE-Frag 122mm shells.

Which brings up, which videos are valid.
There are a few sites with promising previews. Some, with strident titles that sorta' sound like '60s left wing slogans, I dismiss immediately. Others that have more sober titles have channel names I just don't believe. (They might be actually be legit.)
U.S. Defense News is one I'm wary of. There are a few more that I can't remember at the moment. Does anyone know which these news channels that should be avoided? Besides Dark Skies, Dark Docs, Dark Seas, Dark……

Not sure if this is what you want but these are very useful to me.

Users who are viewing this thread