"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (3 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

In an attempt to get back on track...Ukraine claims to have destroyed Russian pontoon bridges (again) in Luhanksk:

Ukraine's military says it has again destroyed pontoon bridges that Russian troops were using to cross a river in the eastern Luhansk region, where heavy fighting has been raging for days.

The Ukrainian defence ministry published photos of what it said were destroyed Russian tanks and other armour in the village of Bilohorivka, near the strategic Ukrainian-held city of Lysychansk.

Luhansk regional head Serhiy Haidai described Bilohorivka as a "fortress" that - like the city of Mariupol - was "holding back a great number" of Russian troops.

Russian pontoon bridges were smashed by Ukrainian artillery, Kyiv says. Russia's military has not commented on the Ukrainian claim, which has not been independently verified.

With Ukraine saving Kharkiv and pushing the Russians back to within kms of the Ukraine border it must have dawned on both sides that the UAF may have the growing strength and momentum to retake all of Ukraine, including the Donbas. Russia needs to up its game. My guess, a new offensive on Kiyv by the Belorussians. I'd say Crimea is forever lost though.

Last edited:
I'll only agree on Crimea due to geography. But they won't be able to come up from there easily either, especially as bad as the Russian army has proven to be.

The Ukrainians should try to keep the eastern bridge bombed as well to keep the pressure up on Crimea.

Disagree. An aeroplane/airplane has wings. A glider is still an aeroplane/airplane. An aircraft is any man-made object that can fly, including powered aeroplanes, gliders, balloons, autogyros and helicopters.

Agree about the lawyers, though.
Maybe in the "simplified" Anglo-saxon vocabulary.
Thank God the Montreaux Convention is written in a 'civilized" and articulated language - French (almost as developed as German)
So it states not "aircraft" but avion or aeroplane and according to "even" British language standards an aeroplane is: a vehicle designed for air travel that has wings and one or more engines:
hmm.. maybe I should have become a lawyer?

Just as a ship is a ship, and a submarine is a submarine and not a ship - neither is a rowing boat a ship nor is a hovercraft a ship , but a craft or a boat.
BTW, don't the UK or the USMC have these hovercraft - Landing Craft Air Cushion (LCAC)? could be fitted and stuffed with AA and SAM weaponry too aside from transport tasks.

You couldn't have made this stuff up. If anyone said before the invasion started, that the Russian Air Force would rely on basic low grade civilian GPS, I would have wanted to know what they were smoking.
The SU34 cockpit looks quite modern.

The funny thing is I think the GPS and navigation systems in the lil GA planes I fly are more advanced. Hell I think the ForeFlight program on my iPad is…lol

Sorry I just had to:
The United Kingdom is a sovereign state made up of four countries: England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. This political entity formed slowly over time. In the 16th century, Wales, which had already been conquered by England, was fully incorporated into the Kingdom of England. In 1707, a treaty between the Kingdom of England and the Kingdom of Scotland was signed, forming the Kingdom of Great Britain (because now the whole island was one political entity). Then, in 1801, after a period of subjugation by England, the Kingdom of Ireland was formally incorporated to form the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. Finally, in 1922, most of Ireland gained independence from the United Kingdom, splitting the island into two: Ireland and Northern Ireland, the latter of which stayed part of the United Kingdom.

James I, 1566-1625, born Edinburgh Castle, Scotland—, King of Scotland (as James VI) from 1567 to 1625 and first Stuart king of England from 1603 to 1625, who styled himself "king of Great Britain." whereas Great Britain in that context is a geographical term since the UK aka Great Britain as a political term was only introduced in 1707.

And now William Wallace and Robert the Bruce are going to hunt you down at night

I viewed a Russian training maneuver setting up a pontoon bridge not long ago - they took almost 14 hours to do the job - for which in a NATO maneuver it would take less then 2 hours.!!! okay just a maneuver but still....

Even the overly restrictive Cambridge definition of "aeroplane" fails to specify that the "wings" have to be fixed and stationary, hence rotary wings meet the definition.
We can argue til the cows come home what constitutes an "aircraft", but why bother? And any submarine larger than a midget is a ship, regardless of how much you'd like to think otherwise. The contention that the term "ship" includes the understood adjective "surface" is faulty, regardless of some people's cultural assumptions.

Ding, ding, ding…

A rotary-wing is a wing.

KYIV/BRUSSELS, May 12 (Reuters) - Finland is expected to announce on Thursday its intention to join NATO with Sweden likely to follow soon after, diplomats and officials said, as Russia's invasion of Ukraine reshapes European security and the Atlantic military alliance.

NATO allies expect Finland and Sweden to be granted membership quickly, five diplomats and officials told Reuters, paving the way for increased troop presence in the Nordic region during the one-year ratification period. read more

In the wider Nordic region, Norway, Denmark and the three Baltic states are already NATO members, and the addition of Finland and Sweden would likely anger Moscow, which says NATO enlargement is a direct threat to its own security.

Russian President Vladimir Putin has cited the issue as a reason for his actions in Ukraine, which has also expressed a desire to eventually join the alliance.

Moscow has also repeatedly warned Finland and Sweden against joining the alliance, threatening "serious military and political consequences".

Asked on Wednesday if Finland would provoke Russia by joining NATO, President Sauli Niinisto said Putin would be to blame. "My response would be that you caused this. Look at the mirror," Niinisto said.

It appears that Mr Putin has run up against the Law of Unintended Consequences. Assuming NATO approval, Russia will have one more frontier with NATO than it had before Putin invaded Ukraine to push NATO back.

Now, it explains those washing machines in military trucks and in trenches.

"U.S.-led sanctions are forcing Russia to use computer chips from dishwashers and refrigerators in some military equipment, Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo said Wednesday"
Abandoned Russian positions, watch until the end:

glider is aerodyne but not aircraft per definition....
A glider doesn't meet the Cambridge definition of "aeroplane" for lack of an engine, but that doesn't preclude it as an "aircraft". The terms "aeroplane" (airplane) and "aircraft" are not directly interchangeable.
(Don't we sound like a bunch of pragmatical sea-lawyers here?)

Users who are viewing this thread